Sign in to follow this  
jachady

Power needed for 48" deck

jachady

I've got a 314-A, will it have enough power to spin up a 48" deck? I tried the search but couldn't fin an answer. Any help would be great.

John

Duff

John, I think I did see this discussed somewhere else but I'm not sure what search words would narrow it down. Anyway, if memory serves me the answer to your question should be yes...as long as you keep your blades sharp, watch your forward speed and don't try to mow grass that's too tall.

Duff :thumbs:

btrrg1969

I have a 48" on my 312 and my buddy has one on his 310 :thumbs:

danjmah

I have an 88' 414-8 with a 48" SD deck and it cuts and performs beautifully. I haven't noticed any issues.

shorts

I have an early 70's 12 hp commercial toro that spins a 3 blade 60"deck and pulls me around on a sulky without bogging down unless I go into bushhog mode, keep the blades sharp and engine speed at wide open and go slow enough that the clippings don't clog up in the deck. :thumbs:

tarcoleo

Your Kohler 14 hp is enough; I run a 48" SD deck with a Honda 11 hp or a 13 hp,

on level ground, with no problems.

Tom in RI

bo dawg

No problem for it!

tommy3horse

I run both a Charger 12 and a C-120 with a 48 inch decks and both do very well with no "power" issues. My 3 acres are NOT flat at all either.

Tom

:hide:

jachady

Ok, so it doesn't seem like power is an issue. But I've hooked up the mower and the blades are still slowing down. So I've come up with possible issues. Just need help determining which one to attack first. My thoughts are that A) the blades aren't sharp or tight, :hide: the deck belt is bad or the spring is shot, C) the pto belt is shot (I'm running it in the inner pulley on the pto), or D) the pto clutch material is worn. Of course there could be E) letting the grass get too long before mowing (but it doesn't seem like the engine is bogging down)

It doesn't cost anything to make sure the blades are sharp and tight, so I'll do that. But before I buy anything, any tips on how to check for a bad belt or pto?

Thanks

John

can whlvr

it also doesnt cost to take your pto off and inspect and clean,look for oil or grease on the disk,if there is none clean it and scuff it up a little,take notice where the trunnion is before you take it apart,so you can tighten it a little,they do need to be adjusted from time to time,also make sure the pulley on the deck is tight,if its slipping that will slow the blades,a new set of belts might be a good investment too but only if you dont find the problem,good luck

shorts

when inspecting the belts and pulleys look closely at the v grooves in the pulleys for wear, the sides of the v's should be straight from the outside dia to the bottom of the groove and the belts should be 5/8'' wide and seat into the outer part of the v and not down in the bottom of the pulley :hide:

jachady

So, my non-mechanically inclined brother figured this one out. The PTO lever was out of adjustment. When we pushed the lever all the way forward the PTO actually slightly released. If we just push the lever about 90% forward the PTO is tight and spinning at full speed. So a little adjustment to the trunion on the PTO rod and we're back in business.

John