Sign in to follow this  
Horse-Drawn

A detour this morning ends whith a smile

Horse-Drawn

Due to road construction, :thumbs: I had to take an unusual route home from dropping the kids off this morning. Less than a mile from my house, on a road I haven't been on before, I saw something red behind a shed. A couple of phone calls later & I'm heading out the door with the camera to look at an all original C-100 that came with a cabin someone bought 2 yrs. ago. They say it ran, but they never used it. They have a fetish for Green, not Red, lol. I asked if they'd sell it & to my surprise, he said "my wife will be thrilled! $50 & come get it! :D I immediately called into work & emptied the back of my truck! The wife is going to kill me, :D but as I've already told her... "They don't make these any more! I can still get newer models of you!" :wh: (you'd have to understand our humor with each other)

So, off I go with the camera & truck! ...and $50

Pics soon :D

Horse-Drawn

Ok...Back home with pics, but getting that out of its hole is going to take a winch. So...Back home to regroup & get a good front tire, gas & battery

5669413291_66b63c33b3_b.jpg

5669413275_54e1913632_b.jpg

5669413295_a6e49b27d6_b.jpg

5669413277_a5ab856ea7_z.jpg

5669420259_ea86ba221e_b.jpg

5669413285_687ebfef09_b.jpg

I think it's worth $50. (I paid him before he changed his mind)

Getting this home will give me a project for the rest of the morning :thumbs:

mavfreak

short word YES!

Lane Ranger

Sounds like you need to take the detours and new routes a little more often Jay!

No telling what you'll find next in the way of wheel horses!

:thumbs:

Horse-Drawn

Wow... Finally got it home. I went into his back yard to winch it out (he told the ground was dry) and buried my truck up to the axles in mush. Nothing around solid enough to winch from. He had to give me a ride home to get my other truck to pull the first one out. By the time I made it back with long tow straps, it had sunken to the front plow mount. Couldn't get enough traction to budge it. Next, I got the neighbor involved with his farm tractor. An hour later, it was out. I had him pull the c100 out since he was already there. Loading it into my truck, I let the smoke out of my winch motor (not sure what happened to it) & had to use ratchet straps to get it up the ramps.

The guy felt so bad about all the hassle I was going through, he said, "here, you've earned it" & he gave me my money back!

Now I can get a battery for it, wash my trucks & grab lunch somewhere, lol. The guy said he had a "Murray or something" down the trail in the woods that was in better shape & I could take it too if I wanted. ...Maybe this fall when his property dries out. I'm sore & ready for a nap!

:thumbs:Moral - Nothing is "free" :wh:

danjmah

Wow - great find and congrats!

Cudos to the neighbor and the PO sounds like a great guy too, especialy for the refund!

whfan74

Now that sounds like some excursion to just get a Horse. We all have some unique stories on how we acquired one or two of our machines, but yours is pretty crazy! :D

When it is all said and done and you are cruising around on that machine you will look back at all of this and think it was a piece of cake! :wh:

Your persistence paid off, and congrats on your new haul! :thumbs:

sgtsampay

Wow, congrats! Now you got a free tractor, washed your trucks and got a nice lunch. Great way to make a hual. :thumbs:

JimD

A sound looking tractor. Well worth the time, trouble, and the money I think. You did well. It was nice of the PO to give you back the money, but don't tell the wife that. :thumbs:

corn53

:thumbs: Awesome deal!!!!

Horse'n Around

Great find :thumbs: I would say that this falls under divine intervention , it was ment to be :wh:

wheelhorse656

Awsome find!!!!!! :thumbs:

Irv

Nice haul and great story! I have one I picked up (not as cheaply) last fall that I just finished rebuilding the tranny on.

Horse-Drawn

So far...

I cleaned the points.

Put in a new battery.

Took the 42" RD deck off & pulled the covers to find an actual WH belt :D , grease zerks on good spindles, and I flipped it over to find rusty, but new blades! :wh:

Added gas.

Turned the key ....nothing hhmmmm :thumbs:

Quick wiring check...... I ripped out the SS wires on the clutch removing deck. :D ...fix wiring.

Turned key... nothing. :wh:

Tired of screwing around, just want to see how the engine is. Will rewire tomorrow.

Jumped solenoid... crank, no start. check spark-good. Check fuel-good. Check choke-broken cable. :D

Hold choke, clutch & jumper cable.

IT RUNS! :D

A couple of hot laps around the yard later...

No smoke or funny noises at start up.

No smoke under load.

Hi & Lo range work in all gears.

Brakes work good.

Parking brake works! :)

Besides wiring and a choke cable, the only thing I can see right now that worries me is somebody drilled through both hubs and axles and bolted it together.

I put the deck under my B-80 to see how that will work & so far, so good. normal operation.

...still sore & tired. Making dinner for the kids & going for :D

KC9KAS

Loved the story...sounds like some of the deals I get into!

Nice score on the C-100

Coadster32

Stolen like a true :wh: ! Great score!! :thumbs: