Sign in to follow this  
AMC RULES

HELP-Any ideas?

AMC RULES

I aquired a new to me '88 520 last fall, my first :D Only used it to blow the drive way a couple of times over the winter. Parked it in the shed the last time I used it, sat untouched until about mid March. I was suprised to see a puddle of oil sitting under the rear, wondered, what's up with that? Cleaned up the puddle and inspected the under carriage, but couldn't locate the source of the leak. Decided to leave a plastic bag under it to see if it would continue leaking on it's own. Not a drop leaked out of it until today when I opened up the shed, this it what I found waiting for me. Thought I was going to mount up the deck and start mowing but...I guess NOT! :thumbs:

Picture1947251608.jpg

I know I'm not giving the experts much to go on here but I need an idea of what to be checking under here for leaks.

Picture1947251609.jpg

I've not had it running since the last time I cleaned up the mess, so what gives? Any ideas why it decided to start leaking again now? Fluid levels seem to check out fine, I'm at a loss as to what's up with this thing. Before I tear into it like a bull in a china shop, any help would be greatly appreciated. :wh:

Horse'n Around

Did you get a look at the seal on the brake shaft? My Raider sprung a leak out of nowhere. It wasn't a huge one but after I jacked the Raider up and put it on jack stands and got a good look under it, I saw the source was the seal on the brake shaft behind the drum.When it was cold out it never leaked a drop but it started leaking when the weather got warm while it was just sitting but it only did it once in a while. The gear lube must have been too thick to leak from the cold. Once I spotted the light trail of lube emanating from behind the drum, I replaced the seal and the leak is gone.

Just a thought

can whlvr

i cant tell from the pic if its an 8 speed or a hydro but i would clean it very good,(check the oil level)and drive it until it warms up real good and then check all around the tranny,look at the seals,at any of the shafts coming out,usually its a seal or gasket or a hydro hose fitting,if its a seal check the up and down of the movement of the shaft,to make sure bearing is ok

AMC RULES

Yep forgot to mention, it's a hydro. Thanks guys, gives me something to work with. I'll start by cleaning it up and proceed from there. I appreciate your help very much. :thumbs:

bitten

Craig I dont know if it is your source of an oil leak but it looks like your hubs are very close to your tranny and could be rubbing the seals bad. I would try to move the hubs out a little just to be safe. Good Luck.

AMC RULES

HOLY CRAP! I didn't even notice they were so close. Makes me think of the new Commando I just got, it's got a lot of space between the hubs and trans case. IIRC, more on one side than the other. Seems kinda strange to me, later today I'll post a pict of that rear too, just to see what you guys think is going on there. Thanks for the help. :thumbs:

Kelly

The 520 hubs are very close to the trans, they even installed plactic washers in between them and the trans, I would clean it up, power wash wipe it down, how ever you want, then check to see where the drip is starting from, could be any number of things, pressure line fitting, return to the sump, case seal, loose case bolt, drain plug seeping.........

SAM58

By the looks of the left Hub, it could be seeping a little.

just keep the oil level to full and run it, after cleaning it and mowing with it the grass will collect to the source of the leak.

AMC RULES

OK, I'll get the 520 rear cleaned up, run it awhile, and report back my findings.

Here's an image of the newly aquired Commando Eight's rear I was telling you about, wondering what's up with the difference in axle lengths out of the rear of this one? :thumbs:

Picture1947251592.jpg

Shuboxlover

Looks like your hub has slid out on the axle shaft. Loosen the set bolts, slide it back in and then tighten.. :thumbs:

can whlvr

could also be a wrong axle installed in the past

Kelly

There is a hand full of tractors that have extra long axles, I think the commando is one, and the 8hp 4speed is another, there might be a few more.

Shuboxlover

There is a hand full of tractors that have extra long axles, I think the commando is one, and the 8hp 4speed is another, there might be a few more.

So would they be extra long on just one side :thumbs: or both side, looks like the right side is "normal" :wh:

AMC RULES

Seems like the extra long bolt in the drivers side hub looks a little suspicious. like someone's been here before for some reason? :wh:

Picture1947251584.jpg

I jacked up the rear and tried pushing in and pulling out on the left rear wheel assembly, but it seems to be locked in place now? Wondering also if the black plastic spacer on the axle is factory or not?

Picture1947251593.jpg

The spacer looks to have seen better days, either way, and serving no purpose set up like this anyhow. :thumbs:

gwgdog66

Seems like the extra long bolt in the drivers side hub looks a little suspicious. like someone's been here before for some reason? :wh:

Picture1947251584.jpg

I jacked up the rear and tried pushing in and pulling out on the left rear wheel assembly, but it seems to be locked in place now? Wondering also if the black plastic spacer on the axle is factory or not?

Picture1947251593.jpg

The spacer looks to have seen better days, either way, and serving no purpose set up like this anyhow. :thumbs:

Looks like the left one may have been off before (Seal Replacement maybe) The spacer was probably put on it because the hub was sliding in towards the tranny.

I try to center my hub set bolts on the axle key whenever I pull a hub and put it back on.