Sign in to follow this  
Actonhorse

4 speed transmission

Actonhorse

I picked up a 75 B-80 as what I thought was a parts tractor but it is just in too nice of a shape so I have decided to restore it with my 13 year old son. I started into the transmission and everything looks good except for the reverse idler and one axle keyway. The reverse idler has a pretty good chip out of one of the teeth and the tooth next to it has a "bend" in it like it was about to break as well. Can anyone tell me whether or not one tooth will affect operation or if I am gentle with it it will be okay?

Picture087.jpg

racinfool40

:thumbs: If it was mine I would replace it !!!!!I would hate to see it come apart and do more damage.. Then you have to tear it apart again!!!I have a good one if your interested!! Let me know!! :wh:

Horse-Drawn

Curious... Where did the missing chunk end up? Did it do more damage elsewhere? :wh:

Otherwise, Ditto to what Mike said about replacing it while it's out. Nothing more irritating than doing it twice when the part's in your hand now :D

It's cool you're doing this with your son... :thumbs: I'm getting my 12yr old greasy on my trans overhaul also. It's cool watching him get as excited as I do on projects

daveoman1966

I probably have that gear....and others from the 4 sp trans.

What is your email address so we can work this out outside of this forum.

I am:

daveoman@windstream.net

Actonhorse

Okay, I was thinking about replacing it just to save trouble down the road. I found the chunk in the bottom of the casing so it must have just come out and sat in the sludge....

Yup, it is alot of fun working with the kids, I have another one who is helping as well.

jman

:wh: :thumbs:

jman

i got a question what color should i pant the engine on a b-80 ?? :thumbs:

dgjks6

i got a question what color should i pant the engine on a b-80 ?? :thumbs:

what ever color you want!

but - they were red

But if I remember correctly - it is a different shade of red from the wheel horses. The engines came painted from the kohler factory.

I am sure somebody with the specifics will be along soon.

can whlvr

i think i agree with the others dean,i know it hurts to spend on something that you dont expect b ut if you put a good gear in and make sure all the bearings are good it will be good for along time,good to get the kids involved in a project like that,they will remember it for ever and have a nice toy to play on as well

Coadster32

If you know a machinist, they can cut a shoulder on the other side of the gear for you, and then you can flip it. Good luck. :thumbs: