Sign in to follow this  
SAM58

RESTORING 1992 520H

SAM58

Salvaged this little tractor from being hauled off to the scrap yard.

Start easy & runs strong, Hydro great shape.

I have put about 10 Hours on it so far with no issues.

Need footrest covers & decals.

before...

IMG_0346-1.jpgIMG_0345.jpg

After...

IMG_0413.jpgIMG_0411.jpgIMG_0410.jpg

IMG_0415.jpg

littleredrider

Looks real good. Vinyl guy has some nice decals, just ordered some with a couple extras on them. Gonna start the clean and paint when they come in.

Woodsman

You did a beautiful job and the new seat really makes it pop.

I'd be curious to hear your paint technique.

C-Series14

Hey Sam...is that a new seat and if so, where did you get it? I have a website saved that sells them, just curious if it is the same site. Those seats are the best and closest to original....

312Hydro

That's a nice job on the resto. :thumbs: I also would like to know where the seat came from.

SAM58

Thanks Fellows...

I just happened to run across the seat in a local Gravely Dealer, after looking for 3 days and 5 -6 differnt locations.

It was still in a plastic bag, and has bolt holes all over the bottom & the back for arm rests, but they did not match up exactly for either.

They had bought out a store that closed and did not know for sure where it came from, he started out at $150.00 but I ended up buying it for $85.00

I think I seen a sticker on the back with "Made in China"

I would like to know the weblink where you seem them also... :wh:

I really liked this seat when I seen, it but the bolt holes are not an exact match.

From left to right it worked, but i had to redrill the rails about 2 " closer front to back to bolt it on. :thumbs:

As far as my painting technique, well it is rattle can, :D

I tried several different type and brands of paint until I found a Rustoleum Industrial Enamel Paint.

It is a Cherry Red, I now sell it at the supply store that I manage ( at a discount of course) Ha! At the right temperature, and mild humidity, it covers good and dries fast ( about 20 - 30 minutes to the touch) cures in about 2-3 days then I wax & buff it mildly. the hood was after 3 trys, it was raining and I got an orange peal effect first & second time, then I used Aircraft stripper down to the metal, primed, lightly sanded and painted it again with the temp about 70 degrees, and making sure it was mixed up really well.

As for the wheels, I used a Dupli-coat Subaru silver, it's a little brighter than I wanted. Bought it at Advance Auto.

I work on them at my work, nights & saturdays, about 35 - 40 hours on this one... the guys that work for me get to see the progress each day they come in.

Of coarse they make suggestions, but walk off when I say show me. Ha!

Now one of them wants to buy it now that it is done... go figure.

C-Series14

Sam...sent a PM....

Irv

Nice tractor and nice job Sam! The seat looks just like the Arnold seats that a few of us got last year from Lowes when they were closing them out. They are nice and real comfortable.

SAM58

Thanks guys,

I have only been doing this for about a year, This time last year I had no idea that there was so many people that admired the Wheel Horse.

I have always like to fix things.

So far I have restored...

1972 Raider 12 Use it 14 years, then restored it, Sold back to my brother, he bought it new and wanted it after I finished it.

1979 C-141 Automatic sold this one to a Red Square member 4Phase

1992 520H Fellow at work wants this one... if I sell it he will be a first time owner.

Rebuilt 4 Decks, 2 - 36" that had to be welded, 42" , 48", a mid mount grader blade, and 42 snow blade.

Mild restore on my 1998 314-8, 1985 416-8, and my 1996 520H.

All of them can be seen here...

http://s811.photobucket.com/albums/zz35/pelphreysd/

Photo's @ PhotoBucket :wh:

I say each time this is the last one for awhile, and about a week or two I run across another one that needs rescued.

A year ago I thought my Raider was the last of a American classic, now that word is out that I collect them they are showing up a lot.

It kills me to think that one will be taken to the scrap yard and crushed.

There are a lot of them around now, but in ten years that will be cut in half.

I have found several that are beyond repair.

Hopefully this will encourage new owners and keep this American classic around for years to come.... who knows. :thumbs:

Ken B

Nice job on the refurb. Its amazing what some people will haul off to the scrapper.

VinsRJ

Its amazing what some people will haul off to the scrapper.

I totally agree..........

Looks great BTW! :thumbs:

can whlvr

looks great and i like the new paint scheme over the factory look

SAM58

looks great and i like the new paint scheme over the factory look

Well...

I don't think that the black paint on top of the hood when I found it was factory.

They sprayed the top of the hood black and had over spray on the decals and other places, the rest of the tractor was a cute pink color.

My paint color is not an exact factory match, a little darker but this is the third one I have painted with this paint and it makes a good chip resistant finish.

Sorry to say, I sold it to a guy at work yesterday. He was really happy to get it.

I needed the 48" deck, and let my 60" deck go with it that i didn't need.

Hopefully it will give him several more years of use. :thumbs: