Sign in to follow this  
Shuboxlover

Hour Meter

Shuboxlover

Does an hour meter just get 12VDC from the key switch (when the key is on ) to start working, or does it only start working when the motor is running.

How do the different models wire it up (from the older ones to the newer ones?) :thumbs:

gwgdog66

Mine is wired up so it is only counting when the engine is running. I found the wiring diagram in the electrical service manual.

http://www.mywheelhorse.com/graphics/file/...SM_810291R2.pdf

I double checked, yep it is counting when the key is on.

Kelly

Factory they are wired anytime the key is on, youv'e heard the story, "the key was left on that is why the hours are so high" but if you think about it, the batt would be dead in less than 24 hours, so it would not run it up much, to have it wires when running only it would have to come off the stater some how.

I ran over the diagrams you listed they all look like powered any time key is on, I did not take a long time looking them over, so I may have missed something.

iicap

Hour meters in our tractor systems run when the key is on as stated. If your engine has a pressurized oil system and a port is available, you could add a pressure switch to complete the electrical circuit to the meter and you would have accurate engine hrs.

As Kelly stated hooked to the stater/charging system prob possible. All hr meters I've ever seen are 2 terminal, one for power in the other to grnd, most marked + and -

300zx

The hour meters on the 520's use the oil pressure switch on the Onan engine. Other Onan's may do the same.