Sign in to follow this  
Clarkbug

36" Rear Discharge Deck Smoking

Clarkbug

Hello All.

So me and my :wh: have been off to a rough start for this season. I bought it last fall, right before snow, knowing that it would involve some tinkering. But so far it hasnt been the best.

After struggling with the exhaust and the fuel system, I finally got everything running today, and with a charge of the battery, fired it up. So I figured I would be industrious and hook up the mower deck. Two things went wrong.

1. I had to tighten the PTO adjustment lever all the way in to get the mower belt to spin continuously. I figure that either means something is at the very end if its life, or I have an adjustment wrong.

2. After running the mower for about 30 seconds or so, smoke started rolling out of the top of the deck from somewhere... I know smoke isnt ever good. The only thing I have done to the deck is pulled off the top plates to clean out the grass clippings and greased the spindles.

After struggling with mechanical projects all weekend, I threw in the towel and came inside. :thumbs: Any tips on what to look for and what the problem might be?

catman81056

How about the flat idler-tension pully? Does it spin freely? If there is rust on the pulley/belt surfaces that could cause the belt to slip and smoke. Hows the belt look? Not stretched?

As far as the PTO, how much friction material is left on the disc? Any chance there might be oil or grease on the friction surface?

I'm sure there are more things to look for, but these just come to mind.

daveoman1966

1) Release tension and take belt off of deck center pulleyl. You ought to be able to turn the center pulley by hand. If not,

2) Deck idler pulley or a spindle may be frozen...i.e., not turning freely.

3) If so, the belt is dragging on the stuck pulley causing the smoke. You will need a new belt.

4) To drag the belt on one of the stuck spindle or idler pulley would take a lot of force....that MAY be why you need to engage the PTO so tightly

5) You MAY have the wrong belt on the deck...make sure to use OEM belts as aftermarket belts won't take the duty.

Clarkbug

Thanks catman and daveoman.

Both of your replies make sense to me, I was just so frustrated after a day of my "projects" not working out that I was done looking at any of them for the day. Ill take another look at things in the light of day and report back on what I can find.

Also, I see references in the manual I downloaded for this deck to a "chain" connecting the attachment lift lever to the deck. Im guessing this is in case you hit a root or something, the deck can pop up without swinging the lever around on you. What length should this chain be? I have a piece of threaded rod that looks to be adjustable, but it is also bent all over the place.

Thanks again!

Shuboxlover

I've had a deck idler pulley freeze up on me after mowing with it for about an hour, it sure doesn't take long for that belt to make that magic smoke, and when that magic smoke comes out it's never good.

I would bet almost anything that you have a froze idler pulley. :thumbs:

Clarkbug

Well, you guys were right again!

It was a frozen idler pulley. It was locked solid, all of the spindles turn with no problem at all.

I spent about 5 minutes trying to hammer out the bearing before I realized the lip on there was going to hold it in, and I guess its time for me to find a new pulley! And a spare belt, just to be sure....

Any idea where I can look up the belt that goes from the tractor to the deck? Its a C-120 tractor and an 05-36MR04 deck. I cant seem to find the right place to look it up, and the numbers on the belt are long gone....

Shuboxlover

I think you'll need belt #102741 :thumbs:

daveoman1966

Spindle pulley belt is #8411

Engine to deck belt is 102741

Spindle idler pulley is 112426

I have the spare belts you'd need, and can provide a good idler tension pulley as well.

Send me an OFF-SITE emial for details. That is, exit Red Square, then email me I am:

daveoman@windstream.net

mavfreak

what tractor is this on does it have a briggs or a kohler?

Clarkbug

Tractor is a C-120 8 speed, and it has the 12 horse Kohler on it.