Sign in to follow this  

wheel horse gearing ratios

hi, with house buying, ive been away for a month or so. anyway, im back on the c-81. my local antique tractor club is wanting to have a pull this summer. no serious pullers. no of us know what we are doing. (i dont think :thumbs: ) we just have several cubs and wheel horses. most are stock. 1 cub has a vanguard. no of us has pulled before. my c-81 has a 18 vanguard with cam, rev kit, and 30 degree timing advance. no governor. i know there may be info that im not supplying, but im looking for pulley sizes to start with. i was thinking of 5" on the engine and 3 1/2 on trans. i want to use the power i have, but not bog engine. someone with experience with pulley ratios, and speeds, let me know. im trying to do my homework, but i dont know how to do it. jimmy

wallfish

I'm not a puller so don't know what works best but this chart may help you out with determining RPMs for different pulley sizes

pulley_motor_rpm_3450.png

Pollack Pete

hi, with house buying, ive been away for a month or so. anyway, im back on the c-81. my local antique tractor club is wanting to have a pull this summer. no serious pullers. no of us know what we are doing. (i dont think :thumbs: ) we just have several cubs and wheel horses. most are stock. 1 cub has a vanguard. no of us has pulled before. my c-81 has a 18 vanguard with cam, rev kit, and 30 degree timing advance. no governor. i know there may be info that im not supplying, but im looking for pulley sizes to start with. i was thinking of 5" on the engine and 3 1/2 on trans. i want to use the power i have, but not bog engine. someone with experience with pulley ratios, and speeds, let me know. im trying to do my homework, but i dont know how to do it. jimmy

Ahhhhh......no serious pullers in your club????? With all those mods,you've got to have one HONKIN' lawn mower there.Ha,ha......

can whlvr

i was thinking the same thing,no serious pullers,sounds like you got some decent mods going,like to see videos when you pull

baerpath

I use this one for pulley ratios and belt sizing

http://www.csgnetwork.com/pulleybeltcalc.html

Hard to tell if that will work lot depends on tire size, what your pulling and what it weighs, how heavy is the puller going to be when hooked.

Duane

Coadster32

Hey John, the chart is quite interesting. Am I missing something though? It gives equipment rpm, but not basline engine rpm. I understand the pully line graph part, but do you know what the engine rpm is in relation to the chart?

wallfish

Hey John, the chart is quite interesting. Am I missing something though? It gives equipment rpm, but not basline engine rpm. I understand the pully line graph part, but do you know what the engine rpm is in relation to the chart?

Sorry, forgot to post the important stuff. The chart is based on engine rpm of 3450