Sign in to follow this  
fabricator2009

steering wheel

fabricator2009

Trying to change the steering column in my 18auto, can't get the steering wheel off. Anyone have any tricks that work. I sprayed it with PB Blaster and letting it sit overnight to see if that helps. Ken.

dgjks6

TT gave me this tip.

You have to remove the dash housing

DSCF6264.jpg

DSCF6265.jpg

Kelly

The 18auto is a D series, and they are taper splined like a car, if your column is junk you can cut the shaft off and then put the wheel in a press, other than that, pull up on the wheel (put the nut back on a few threads so you don't eat the wheel if it comes loose) and have someone hammer on the center with a brass drift, or try a air hammer with a blunt tip, as you pull up on the wheel.

Trouty56

I made a puller out of angle iron similar to a bearing puller. Left it on a couple days and kept the pressure on lubed with wd40. Then it broke loose. Got two off this way. :thumbs:

It was a real rube goldberg lookin thing....haha...but it worked.

Shuboxlover

I just tried to take the steering wheel off a D-160....Sprayed it and let it soak for over a week. Ended up cutting the steering wheel off (it wasn't that nice of shape anyway.) Them things get really stubborn sometimes :thumbs: :wh: