Sign in to follow this  
rockinhorse

HYDROSTATIC OIL LEVEL

rockinhorse

Back again i have a C-121 with hydrostatic transmision. Igot the seals changed today,drilled second setscrew holes in hubs. Drained oil out only got about 3 1/2 qts out. Here is my problem specs. say it holds 5 to 5 1/2 qts. I put new filter on to . Put plug back in put oil in (5 qts) now oil dip stick shows oil 1inch above the full mark on dipstick. This is after running tractor. IS there another drain plug some where???? that i have missed?? I drove tractor it drive's ok. I tried looking at manuals on here but could not see anything showing how to change oil. If anybody knows what i"m doing wrong please let me know. :thumbs:

thanks again

karl

flat rock,in

tractor is 1978 c-121

81-12KSO1-20099

gwgdog66

My Brothers Auto, only held 4 1/2 qts. his manual called for 5 also.

illinilefttackle

Karl- I'm not a wheel horse expert-and I didn't play one on TV-but-a good rule to follow in servicing something with fluid in it, is to put back in what you took out-then run it and then check the level again filling as needed. I do remember reading that Eaton doesn;t recommend running their units overfull. I dont know if you have an Eaton or a Sunstrand-but the warning may go for both -Hope everything works out. Al

Martin

changed mine today in the 875. 4 quarts in the manual. 4 quarts to full on the stick. with filter. sunstrand hydro.

daveoman1966

If Sundstrand, there is a drain plug on the bottom of the left side case.

You should NOT run the trans with oil level above the full mark. If you do, there is a propensity of the oil turning to foam. Oil with tiny air bubbles in it will not develop or hold pressure very well. Moreover, precision internal parts may suffer damage from foamy oil...not unlike contaminated oil.

You MAY have to let the tractor set for a couple days for the oil to clear itself of foam. OR... drain and refill. This time, fill it to within a margin lower than full, then gradually fill to full mark.

This is true for any hydraulic system...Sundstrand or Eaton. Hold true for automatics in cars and trucks too. That's why the dipstick is marked "Do Not Overfill".

Attached Image

post-74-1303608623.jpg

SAM58

This is true for any hydraulic system...Sundstrand or Eaton. Hold true for automatics in cars and trucks too. That's why the dipstick is marked "Do Not Overfill".

:thumbs: Good advise Dave :wh:

rockinhorse

This is true for any hydraulic system...Sundstrand or Eaton.

TT

smoreau

rockinhorse