Sign in to follow this  
SteveK

Worn out KT17S

SteveK

My first post here and thrilled to find you all. I have a C175 I bought 25 years ago and have loved dearly. I've referb'd it (paint, powdercoat, new deck, new seat, etc.) but the engine is using nearly as much oil as gas. Don't think she is going to run much longer. I DO NOT want to replace this tractor!! There is nothing out there that compares. What are my options? My preferred options, in order of preference, are

1) Send engine to reputable rebuilder

2) Find complete rebuild kit (rings, pistons, valves, bearings, seals and guides, etc.)

3) Used engine in good working order (KT17S 24200)

4) Modern Kohler bolt-up replacement.

Any help anyone can give me on this would be MOST appreciated.

porkchop

:thumbs: Choice #1 and it will last another 25.

WH854

:wh: :thumbs: Ditto #1

Chas

sgtsampay

Rebuild it yourself or have it rebuilt. Also, nice to see another horse that is loved. :thumbs:

dgjks6

I am bored at work again, so I am going to give you my opinions. All of these opinions are from my vast experience of 1 rebuild and a lot of time on the internet.

Rebuilding it/replacing it is the way to go. It is going to cost some money - but less than a new lawn tractor from a big box store.

The next decision is how much experience you have and what you budget is.

For about $1500 there are places that sell rebuilt or new engines (maybe a honda type or a kohler) that you can just bolt on.

If you have the tools you can rebuild it yourself, but you probably will still have to pay for machining, etc. My guess is that this will be in the $500 range (for the rebuild kit and the machining)

No idea on the cost of a pro rebuild.

The most economical thing - and the most risky - is to buy a used engine and bolt it on. Never know what you are gonna get.

And please keep this post alive and let us know what you choose - and take pictures.

:thumbs:

can whlvr

i like that you realize that these are worthy machines,get her rebuilt by a good shop and dont look back,ya its gonna cost but you have a reliable tractor for at least 25 years

SteveK

I'm willing to spend the money but can't find the parts or a reliable rebuilder. Any names, phone numbers, email addresses or web sites? I've searched the internet to no avail. I think I would tackle it myself if I could get all of the parts (and a manual!) Do any of you rebuild these things for others?

Horse-Drawn

I do :D ...But I doubt that I'm anywhere near you.

As for parts, They're everywhere. Kits can be purchased from just about any shop or that "e" site online. The manual is free on Kohler's website (5MB). It covers series 1 & 2 including all wear specs and tolerances to check. The machining can be done at any machine shop local to you.

The big thing, in my opinion, is to tear it down (using the manual) so you can check internal wear before ordering parts. If it will still be within acceptable post-machining tolerances (and it should be if it's still running), then you can order parts after the machinist is done. That way you know what sizes to get.

It's not that daunting of a task to do yourself & you can save several hundred dollars. Plus the satisfaction that you rebuilt it :wh:

Keep us posted :thumbs:

Duff

Steve, where are you? Maybe with the location someone here can point you toward a reputable shop for a rebuild. :wh:

And :D !

Duff :thumbs:

pfrederi

I would not pay to rebuild your existing KT17. Based on your spec number it is a series 1. They were not Kohlers best effort. They had a marginal oiling system that lead to many of them throwing rods.

A professional rebuild will cost significant money and you would have an engine that still has a marginal oiling system.

I bought a C175 with a bad motor. Got another series one from a JD317 and put it in. It had over 2000 hours on it and it is still going though like yours it is using more and more oil.

A couple of alternatives, buy a used Series 2 (spec number 24300 or higher) and have it rebuilt. Get series 2 short block and reuse most of the accessories from your old motor. I went the second route and bought a NOS series 2 short block from Small engine Warehouse, figuring the old motor would soon die. ((That was 4 years ago...the old motor is still working. I just created a complete motor out of the short block and am putting it in a C-81 (soon to be a C175 I guess)

If you go the used motor route be advised not all KTs had ball bearings on the crankshaft. (JD specs have just sleeve bearings) That can be an issue for your manual PTO. In Series 2 (most of them) Kohler used a thrust bearing to handle the PTO end loading of the crankshaft, even WH specs no longer had ball bearings. But you need to double check this by looking up the spec number of the motor you might buy on the kohler site and verify it does have the thrust bearing. If it doesn't you could always switch to an electric PTO, or an external thrust bearing.

mavfreak

rick

Ummmm, the Series I engine already lasted 25 years with the present owner, there is no reason that it shouldn't last anther 25 years with a proper rebuild.

Toejam

porkchop

:thumbs: If your near me there is a shop here in town. Donnie the owner used to pull tractors and is second to none on small engines.

SteveK

Some really good info. guys. (Although I am spending more time looking at some of the machines you all have posted pictures of than I am reading.) I had no idea I could get a manual online from Kohler. And, I think I found a place that sells kits. Two questions regarding the rebuild. Do these engines have rod bearings? Don't see any kits with rod bearings. Also, don't see any valve seals. Kits have pistons, rings, gaskets, some with valves sold separately. By the way, I am in the Dallas, TX area.

Is that the common advice? Tear it down, mic it, then order the kit rather than just going .0010 over and have the machine shop match it?

And I truly appreciate the responses!

dgjks6

You need to make 2 trips to the machine shop. First tear it down and take it to the shop and have them measure it. They will tell you what size parts you need and what needs replaced - piston/rings/crank/valves, etc.

Then order the parts - and take the parts and block back to the shop for the work.

SteveK

Thanks, DG. I've downloaded the Service and Parts manuals from Kohler. Getting more and more tempted to do this myself. Looks simple to get the cylinders and pistons off, less comfortable splitting the case. Would I be a complete fool to leave the crank and cam as is? Don't hear any knocking. Checked compression today and have exactly 70 PSI in each cylinder. I think that is about 20 PSI low. VERY tempted to to do cylinders, pistons and rings, maybe valve work and reassemble. Big mistake????

SteveK

Yesterday, I tore down the KT17. Needs valve job and new pistons-rings. The amazing thing is that the bores are right on factory specs! At most, they are .001 over new. Bottom end seems good. Quality engines those Kohler guys make. Another intersting find - When I pulled the flywheel, pieces of the magnet fell out and some pieces were stuck to the stator. No wonder it was having trouble keeping the battery charged. Looks fixable, though.