Sign in to follow this  
LuckyJohn

416H will not start

LuckyJohn

The mower ran great a week ago, I went out to move it in the barn and it would not start; here is what I have checked: it has gas, and it will not even start with either but does turn over. Any thoughts on were to start?

sgtsampay

I would take the plugs out one at a time and check for spark. Thats what I would do.

LuckyJohn

I don't know what happen but when I went out there to pull the plugs to check for fire I tried to start it before I got going and it fired right up. :thumbs: I don't understand what happened and why I didn't start so if there is anything I need to start investigating than let me knwo. :wh:

John

sgtsampay

So you say that it starter right up once you checked for spark? Hmmm.

When you checked for spark, was it a yellow or blue spark? Also, did your hand get a little zap when holding the plug wire?

Cause if it a yellow spark or a zap in the hand when holding the wires, then your coil may be going bad. I had the same issue with a Briggs twin last year and the coil was bad. Food for thought.

Duff

John, I'd take a few minutes and go through your wiring to be sure there's not a lifted ground or loose connection somewhere.

Just my thoughts.... :wh:

Duff :thumbs:

LuckyJohn

Sgt:

No I never did check for spark, I was getting ready to do that but I decided to try to start it before I pull the first plug and it started right up. Never did anymore with it.

Duff:

I am going to go through the wiring to insure that there is not a safety switch that has a bad ground or anything else that might need some attention.

Thanks

For all of the help

JC 1965

I agree with Duff. I had the same problem with my tractor. The problem turned out to be A wire under the dash near the steering shaft with just A tiny bit of insulation worn off, allowing the bare wire to make contact with the steering shaft when the steering was turned in just the right direction. I wrapped the wire with electricians tape and pulled it away from steering shaft and secured it with plastic tie. So check all your wiring for breaks or worn spots in the insulation. Hope this helps. :thumbs:

mavfreak

Guess thats why you go by "Lucky"!

I would chack the safety switches like you said over time they start to act up. BUt sometime its harder to find a interment probelem when its working for the momment. You may want to wait till it acts up again or try to make it happen by doing a wiggle test. Start wiggleing wires and see if you can make problem happen.

Good luck!