Sign in to follow this  
bo dawg

deck pullies

bo dawg

Hey guy's what is the easiest way you found removing the pullies from the spindles?

Normally I could use 2 screw drivers, 1 on each side, and lift them up, but all 3 on this deck are stubborn. All I am doing is bending the bottom of them up. I hosed them down with fabulous blaster but haven't went back to try again yet.

:thumbs:

Pollack Pete

Well......I used Polish power on mine and bent them all.Good thing replacements are still available.I put never-seez on the new ones,so in 30 or 40 years when someone else is replacing the spindles again,maybe they'll get the pulleys off.good luck.They are stubborn.

Shuboxlover

I've ruined MANY a pulley trying to get them off :thumbs: Sometimes they come right off and sometimes you end up ruining the spindle too :wh:

rick

I usually remove the nut, lock washer rand grease fitting, soak them with Kroil. Then I use a brass drift and drive the spindle through the pulley and bearings. A little heat on the pulley won't hurt anything but the seal on the upper bearing. You are removing the pulley to get at the bearing anyway, 90% of the time.

At most you may have to clean up the threads where the grease fitting screws in.

C-Series14

I usually remove the nut, lock washer rand grease fitting, soak them with Kroil. Then I use a brass drift and drive the spindle through the pulley and bearings. A little heat on the pulley won't hurt anything but the seal on the upper bearing. You are removing the pulley to get at the bearing anyway, 90% of the time.

At most you may have to clean up the threads where the grease fitting screws in.

You can only do that so much and then the key on the shaft starts hitting the top spacer above the top bearing. I just did a deck and broke the spacer on one spindle. I did the others by just tapping the shaft done a little to break the pulley free from the shaft...Just an idea.

can whlvr

heat lots of penetrating oil and patience,ive had to cut pulleys off,and some fall off

bo dawg

I did go and heat them up and add more fabulous blaster, still stuck on. Even tryed hitting the spindle down through a little few good hits while protecting the shaft with 2 x 4. Hit it purty good 3 or 4 times and didn't budge :thumbs:

Let them soak over night and try again tomorrow. :wh:

MalMac

One method I have used is a bearing puller. Put the puller in the V groove of the pulley all the way down against the bottom of the pulley. Use all the methods described by the other members. Heat, blaster, and tapping. Sometimes this method works and other times you get the same results a bent pulley.

C-Series14

I did go and heat them up and add more fabulous blaster, still stuck on. Even tryed hitting the spindle down through a little few good hits while protecting the shaft with 2 x 4. Hit it purty good 3 or 4 times and didn't budge :thumbs:

Let them soak over night and try again tomorrow. :wh:

Just be careful not to knock it thru the pulley more than a 1/4" or so, that is about all the room you have before the key comes out of the pulley and starts going into the spacer on top of the top bearing. Soaking them might loosen them up....

rick

Haven't seen a key yet.....

bo dawg

The keys dont show from the top side Rick, but their in there.

bo dawg

Still no luck getting them off without bending them up. I going to get a puller to try that approach.

Here is some pic's of the deck to show why I need to get the pullies off. So I can try to re-straighten the deck out. Plus the spindle on the discharge side is bent.

I received the deck this way and hoping to get straight to use again. Looks like PO ran into something hard.

It is a very solid and newer model than any deck I have (1995).

These pullies/spindles wouldn't happen to be a taper lock deal would they? reason why their not wanting to budge.

Deck2.jpg

Deck.jpg

DSC02698.jpg

DSC02699.jpg

DSC02696.jpg

DSC02697.jpg

can whlvr

looks like the first pic pulley is shot,thats when ive cut them off,i tried a puller and they just bent so bad the puller let go and i dont think they are tapered,just rusted on

sgtsampay

Two days ago I use a large pair of locking pliers on the pulley center and then blocked the blade and then I twisted the pulley and it came free. I then kept turning it until it just slide off. Also, the shafts aren't tapered.

Also, my deck also hit something real hard on the front middle, as I had to pound the middle back out so the deck is near level and not bent.

Lane Ranger

I use PB Blaster and let them soak or spray it several times.

I have had the bearings drop out of the pulley and mower deck overnight when I suspend them about some old metal milk cartons.

That PB Blaster will amaze you if you work with it a lot.

:thumbs:

dgjks6

I just took some stuck ones off. Even with a puller I was not able to get the pulley off.

Then I saw the 4 9/15 bolts holding the spindle on. I was able to get a wrench on those and loosen them until they hit the pulley. Then one at a time unloosened them a little until it frees the pulley. Did it with minimal damage to the pulley also.

sgtsampay

I just took some stuck ones off. Even with a puller I was not able to get the pulley off.

Then I saw the 4 9/15 bolts holding the spindle on. I was able to get a wrench on those and loosen them until they hit the pulley. Then one at a time unloosened them a little until it frees the pulley. Did it with minimal damage to the pulley also.

I see what you did. thats a good idea. Use the bolt that hold the spindle on as a pusher. LOL. Great idea!

bo dawg

Thanks guy's, I appreciate the tips. Yeah I tryed the puller... that was a mistake. I'm thinking of taking a torch and get hot then use wax on it. It's something I learned a few years ago when the hitch pin on the back of the tractor was seized in the rear housing, sliped right out!

I don't think I have enough room to get a wrench in under the pullies to loosen the spindle housing as dgjks6 did.

Hopefully I will get it done this weekend.

Anybody have a set of replacement pullies?

Don1977

Buy a new set of pulleys, the pressed steel pulleys get worn out and slip after a few years anyway. My 48' base got so bad that any heavy or tall grass would stop the blades.

gwgdog66

:thumbs: I think I have only had one deck that I didn't have to replace the pulley's on when I took the spindles off the rebuild. Let us know how the heat and wax does.