Sign in to follow this  
dgjks6

the deck wisperer

dgjks6

So I was supposed to work this morning, but the person I am supervising called off, so I did not have to go in this morning. I went and had coffe with my wife and then went home. After returing home, I was alone, so what did I do? I went to the garage to look at my newly completed c-85.

DSCF7244.jpg

With no further work to do, I heard a noise ffrom the back of the garage. Not sure what it was, I went to the back of the garage to investigate. This is what I found:

DSCF7276-1.jpg

I listened closer and I could almost hear the 42 inch rear discharge deck call to me and say that its almost mowing time and I need some help before you can put me on. Confused I pulled the deck out. Upon further investigation, the underside was perfect. Having never completely inspected the deck I flipped her over and found this:

DSCF7268.jpg

Lots of rust. She told me she was well cared for. Somebody even cared enough to use stainless bolts

DSCF7270.jpg

But alas, that owner sold her and her partner (a strong 416-8). At this point she must have been left outside to rust. The deck seemed to be asking me for a quick wire brush, some rust reformer paint, and a good blade sharpening.

No problem - I had an hour to kill - and nothing else to do. She would get a minor preservation so she could work this summer - and when the season was over a complete overhaul. So I got out the tools:

DSCF7274.jpg

And removed the blades:

DSCF7269.jpg

Thats when the problems started. I removed the belt covers - it was only 8 bolts - and was about to start up the wire wheel drill. And I swear this happened. The deck said - come on - its only 8 more bolts and you can remove the attach a matic and really remove all the rust.

So I removed a few more bolts and realized I was being manipulated. 8 bolts here and 4 there and soon whe would be completely apart...

But then I got a call from the back of the garage. It was the 36 inch deck that said - "hey buddy - I am almost new - just grease me and put me on. 8hp is not enough for 42 inches anyway - and your yard has a lot of hills". So I pulled her out and greased her up.

Then there was a twist. 15 yards of mulch got dumped in the driveway.

to be continued...

Lane Ranger

I am looking forward to more of this post - been there and done that -several times!

:thumbs:

312Hydro

I'm subscribed. This is a great story! Who will be cast for the movie? :thumbs:

cheesegrader

Brad Pitt has to be in every movie.

Will he play the heroic restorer,

or will he star as the down-and-out deck?javascript:emoticon(':thumbs:')

corn53

:wh: Love it!!! Just did 2 decks over myself!!!! :thumbs: Damn voices!!!

B-8074

:wh: This will be good. :thumbs:

squonk

I wish my 160 would move so I can put the deck on :wh: I'll have to get "Ol Reliable

" out. My 210-H with a well worn used 37" RD with a well worn belt and well worn but sharpened blades. :thumbs:

sgtsampay

Ok, so a great preview. When is the movie coming out? Also, i didn;t caught the name, what was it again? Seems like my type of show. I got the popcorn.

Horse'n Around

Everyone loves a good cliff hanger :thumbs: