Sign in to follow this  
fdsinozich

parking brake

fdsinozich

I have a 1974 C-120 auto. I have the neutral adjusted so there is no more creep. When I disengage the trans.is that supposed to stop the tractor from moving at all?

It still wants to roll down hill slightly. Is this normal?

Thanks,

Frank

Trouty56

When the hydro is disengaged there is something called a parking pawl that is to catch one of the gears in the tranny to keep the tractor from moving. Many of these pawls have been stripped off from misuse or whatever. This could be the case with your 120. I always park sideways on slopes or block a tire. I have a 160 that the parking pawl is stripped and I also have a Charger that works perfectly fine.

Normal......no......common.....yes.

daveoman1966

There should be a decal DO NOT ENGAGE WHILE MOVING close to the parking brake pull-up handle. It is a PARKING BRAKE....not a PANIC STOP brake. That decal is there for a good reason. Most think to pull it up for a panic stop is ok.... WRONG WRONG WRONG. When you do that, the parking pawl grinds away at a trans gear and evntually wears out. Guess where the metal filings went....into the trans fluid. The contaminated fluid then circulates into the brass slippers and friction plate of the hyd pump and motor. Brass is very soft and when it gets scratched... even very little... hyd pressure is lost when the fluid gets up to operating temp. This is what causes progressive lack of motion and power loss...slow implement lift via the hyd cylinder too.

Here is a pic of the cast parking pawl...there is another style made of stamped steel and they are interchangeable. I have a NEW (cast) parking pawl but it requires gearbox teardown to install.

for more details, EXIT RED SQ and send me an email. I am: daveoman@windstream.net

Attached Image

post-74-1303102331.jpg