Sign in to follow this  
TT

More JD woes....

TT

It's getting interesting now, fellers...

I'm sure most of you already know the JD 185 with the broken hydro control arm story by now, right? :D:dunno:

About three weeks ago, the oldest son of the guy that owns the 185 called me because the deck drive belt came off of his 317. (very first time he used it this season) I was just getting ready to make a "house call" and he called back to tell me he had gotten the belt back on again. (he's not very good with this type of stuff. :D ) I was relieved to hear it, and yet I knew it wasn't over yet. :D

Early last week, he called me again to tell me that the belt had shredded and was wrapped around the (PTO clutch) pulley so tight that he couldn't get it out! I was going to go have a look, but I asked him to get a new belt first - so I could put it on when I got there. He had the new belt by the end of last week, but due to other matters, I never made it there until last evening.

I knew that the KT17 has blown up last fall, and that he had paid a substantial amount at a local shop to have it repowered with a Honda twin. The bad part is that when the new engine was installed, the deck wasn't on the tractor. :WRS: When I installed the new belt, I immediately realized why it shredded.... the back side of it was rubbing against the steel engine mount bracket on the right side of the frame! :whistle:

I'm going up to get it in a little while and bring it to the shop where I can flame cut the engine mount bracket for clearance. (I already tried to move the engine to the left, but it won't go.) I sure hope it solves the problem! -- I can't handle working on many more of them, and he probably doesn't want to buy too many more $30 belts. :D

If anyone wants to see pictures of the Honda conversion, let me know. :D

T-Mo

Terry,

Most Honda conversions I've seen in JDs have been in the newer 300 series, i.e. 316, 318, etc. or a 400. Most people drop in a Kohler Magnum into a 317. I also know that some of those conversion engine kits aren't just drop in and go type. Some require a little work and a little prior planning. There have been several Honda conversions over on wfm, but I don't think I've seen one on a 317 yet. But that isn't to say there isn't one over on wfm, just that I haven't seen one. :whistle:

Sparky

Are we loosin ya to the Green side TT :whistle: . Seems like yer spendin an awful lot of time with the Green Team.

Mike... :WRS: ....

Kelly

I feel for you TT, I just put the rear end back in my JD LX 188 broke the frame where the trans mounts.

TT

Nope, guys.... the only thing I'll admit to liking about the "green ones" is the "green" it puts in my wallet when I work on them. :whistle: JD does make me appreciate the WH Attach-Matic system even more though! (You'll still never catch me saying anything good about them - especially on a Wheel Horse site. :dunno:) I know they all have faults, but I'm still more comfortable around Horses. :WRS:

Yes, I know..... This really didn't have anything to do with JD - nor will I ever have much faith in any KT Kohler. :D

The Honda engine is definitely a better idea for this tractor, even if it is foreign - but it's not mine, so I have no say in the matter.

Anyhow...... :D

This picture shows the PTO clutch pulley and deck drive belt before I used the die grinder and a carbide burr to remove part of the right frame bracket. (I "milled" it back to the edge of the rubber isolator.) The belt is not under tension in this photo, but you can clearly see that it would rub the right frame mount even if it was tight. :

jd317001.jpg

And here are two pictures of the 18hp Honda V Twin tightly situated in the JD317. (yes - the side panels still fit.)

jd317002.jpg

jd317004.jpg

I didn't get any pictures of the belt clearancing operation, but I did test it when I was done. I think a blind barber would do a nicer job cutting my grass, and I'm guessing that will be the next thing I'll have to fix. :D