Sign in to follow this  
bo dawg

GT 1848 Workhorse

bo dawg

Hi everyone, I've been a reader on this group for a little while and now I need to ask for some help.

Looking at a 1982-83 GT 1848 WorkHorse, I don't know anything about them as far as what the difference is between them and just a straight up Wheel Horse. This is the twin B&S engine w/ hydro drive and hydra lift. This is all I have on it. Can you give me some insight on it.

Thanks

Bo

TT

The WorkHorse line of Wheel Horse tractors was built to compete with the cheaper brands of lawn and garden tractors. The major difference - aside from the obvious gray paint - was the use of Briggs and Stratton aluminum engines. The GT1848 was the largest and heaviest model built and is capable of using most every attachment designed for the 3, 4, and 500 series tractors. (except the 60" mower deck.) They are basically the equivalent of a 400 series Wheel Horse - with the exception of the engine. It even uses the heavier Eaton 1100 series hydro unit and the same hydraulic lift system.

bo dawg

The WorkHorse line of Wheel Horse tractors was built to compete with the cheaper brands of lawn and garden tractors. The major difference - aside from the obvious gray paint - was the use of Briggs and Stratton aluminum engines. The GT1848 was the largest and heaviest model built and is capable of using most every attachment designed for the 3, 4, and 500 series tractors. (except the 60" mower deck.) They are basically the equivalent of a 400 series Wheel Horse - with the exception of the engine. It even uses the heavier Eaton 1100 series hydro unit and the same hydraulic lift system.

Is the Eaton rearends as good or better? I will have to find another engine if I get it, the B&S is apart and in a box.

Thanks, Bo

TT

The Eaton 11 is the heaviest "hydro transmission" arrangement used in the WH garden tractor line. With proper maintenance and oil & filter changes, it should be good for many more years. (as long as it hasn't been abused up until now.)

The replacement engine would be up to you.... maybe a Briggs Vanguard V Twin around 20hp would be a good start. :whistle:

bo dawg

The Eaton 11 is the heaviest "hydro transmission" arrangement used in the WH garden tractor line. With proper maintenance and oil & filter changes, it should be good for many more years. (as long as it hasn't been abused up until now.)

The replacement engine would be up to you.... maybe a Briggs Vanguard V Twin around 20hp would be a good start. :whistle:

What all wheelhorse tractors will that fit on if I part it out.

Also what oil do you use in the rearend since it has the hydraulic pump running off it as well? regular 10w30 motor oil?, or a hydraulic/transmission oil.

Bo

Anthony Wendover

i have an 84 gt 1800. Motor blew last winter. I dont know the year range on a briggs engine So the one your looking at may be ready to do the same. Mine was very well taken care of. But it was very good when working.

TT

What all wheelhorse tractors will that fit on if I part it out?

Also what oil do you use in the rearend since it has the hydraulic pump running off it as well - regular 10w30 motor oil, or a hydraulic/transmission oil?

Without going through the books, I'd say it would probably work in the C series hydros (like the 125, 145, 165, & 175) and possibly even some of the 3, 4, & 500 models, but it might not be exactly the same.

They use 10w-30 or 10w-40 motor oil.

bo dawg

Thanks guy's I appreciate the info.

Bo