Sign in to follow this  
Buzz

Commando 8 is running....... sort of

Buzz

I've been working 8hrs on, 8 hr's off for the past few days but finally got a chance to work on my "new" Commando 8 for an hour today. First I pulled off the amazingly clean gas tank to put on a new positive baterry cable (PO cut the old one off). Reinstalled the gas tank and put the battery in that I borrowed from my 854. Pulled spark plus, poured a little Marvel Mystery Oil in the hole and turned the key. The engine spun nicely with no unusual noises :whistle: . I put a new spark plug in, hooked up my inline spark tester, and cranked the engine. No spark :D . I pulled the points cover and filed, cleaned, and regapped the points. Tried it again, have spark :D Sprayed some carburetor cleaner in the air breather and it RAN, at least until it burned it all. I added some fuel to the gas tank and tried again. wouldn't run without spraying the carb cleaner. I removed the line between the fuel pump and carb and cranked the engine. It has gas coming out of the fuel pump so it's time to get a kit and go through the carb. If i can get it running in the next few days I'll have time to use it and decide whether to sell it or the 856. I had them parked side by side and they are virtually identical. I'm pleased so far.

I took some pictures and downloaded them to the computer but didn't get a chance to get them on PhotoBucket. Hopefully I'll do it tomorrow night night.

I'm working a double tonight (4pm-8am0 A few more weeks of this and I'll almost be able to afford to fill the gas tank in my van.... :WRS:

nylyon

Good deal Buzz, sounds like it's on its way and looking forward to the pictures.

T-Mo

Sounds like yar gettin' er done, Buzz. :whistle: If you were closer I would be interested in that Commando 8 myself. :WRS: