Sign in to follow this  
312horse

Fan

312horse

I wonder how much value that fan has on this old wheel horse that i have ,The place that the transmission lockout is located , makes it pretty hazordous to throw that lever in and out of gear ,it has a screen gaurd thing over the fan but it is very close to the lockout handle , if that box is removed you could get your fingers into the fan , if the gaurd is left on the lever hits it . the fan was easy to remove ,so i was wondering how much good it does , if the ol girl would survive without the fan :thumbs:

sorekiwi

The hydro needs the fan. Overheating of the trannsmission, usually from a build up of grass etc is what usually kills them. It's also one of the reasons that you are supposed to run your engine at full throttle and adjust the groundspeed with the hydro.

My 1276 doesnt have the guard over the fan. Last winter while plowing, the plow frame came unhooked from its catches under the axle on that side. I reached underneath to clip it back in and stuck my hand into the fan. It got me right on the end of my third finger, straight through my glove and fingernail and hurt like hell.

A year later the tip of that finger goes numb quite often.

Still doesnt have a guard, but I'll never put my hand under there again.

rmaynard

It got me right on the end of my third finger, straight through my glove and fingernail and hurt like hell.

So that's really why they call you "sore"kiwi. :thumbs:

farmer

100% agree with Mike, the hydro transmissions get very hot under load,

keep it clear of clippings and make sure the fan has all its blades. :thumbs:

sorekiwi

So that's really why they call you "sore"kiwi. :thumbs:

No, it's some reference to my sparkling personality!

I will add that the fan I stuck my finger into was the old aluminum blade type. I have noticed that the plastic fan on the Eaton's does seem to blow more air. One day I'll get around to trying to fit a plastic fan onto a Sundstand.

I don't know too much about it, but some of the D Series guys retro fit an electric fan onto their hydro's. Not sure if the D's came without a fan at all?