Sign in to follow this  
Carlsbarn

Trans oil change

Carlsbarn

I just changed oil in my c-175-8 & 310-8 for the first time since new.( 1986) Oil still looked good but on transmission dipstick approximatly half way up their was rust ! Both rubber boots are like new and they have been in garage all the time when not in use.Anybodyhave rust in middle of dipstick ? ( No jokes please )I am original owner so I know they havent been outside. Thanks

TT

It's not abnormal - and it's usually caused by condensation.

stevasaurus

:wh: sorry...had to at least put up a smiley face.. Condensation is the cause. :thumbs:

tarcoleo

Moisture in 8-speeds has been discussed and thus the need to replace tranny oil when

some water gets into the gearbox through the shift lever. But i was wondering if

small amounts of moisture won't evaporate over a period of time and cause no

trouble.

Tom in RI

dmoore

I also changed mine today & sure enough about halfway up the stick...light surface rust...I sanded it down good,wiped some oil on it & stuck it back in....and since someone and some point damaged the 1/4" allen drain plug I pulled the pipe plug to the left of the hitch & drained out the oil which was a lil milky...this method does not drain out all the oil so I pulled out the remaining with a hand oil fill/transfer pump....D

rmaynard

...But I was wondering if small amounts of moisture won't evaporate over a period of time and cause no trouble...

Since oil is lighter than water, the moisture sits at the bottom of the transmission and can't evaporate. When larger amounts of water get into the transmission, it will "mix" with the oil and emulsify. That's when you get the milky looking oil. The only water that could evaporate would be the tiny amount that would come to the surface in the emulsion. It is soon covered by the lighter weight oil when all motion comes to a stop. Therefore, in a nutshell, no evaporation.

Little or no harm is done by small amounts of water. However, the oil should be changed annually, and the shifter boot inspected regularly.