Sign in to follow this  
Kevin wh314

steering wheel removal

Kevin wh314

:D Ok guys I need help with steering wheel removal on 314-8. I got the roll pin out without a problem thats to my rollpin punch set. This steering wheel was removed before i bought this tractor and someone put it on upside down!! What is the best way to fix this problem? It drives me crazy!!!! :thumbs: Thanks for any help. :wh:

n1defan

Instead of taking the wheel off. Take it apart down by frame an turn it around.

wheel horse tractor guy

Try penetrating oil with a gear puller. That always works for me and if that don't cut it off and buy a new sterring wheel :thumbs:

Kelly

Right under the dash is a collar with a set screw in it, loosen the set screw slide the collar down a bit so you can lift the lower gear up and turn the wheel to where you want it, push it back down so the gears line up, push the collar back up tight, and tighten the set screw your all set.

C-Series14

Do you mean upside down as in you are looking at the bottom of the steering wheel as you sit in the seat or what? Bring it to SW Ohio and we will put it in my 12 ton press... :thumbs:

Gene_S

Do you mean upside down as in you are looking at the bottom of the steering wheel as you sit in the seat or what? Bring it to SW Ohio and we will put it in my 12 ton press... :thumbs:

I'd say it is 180 degrees off Mike...

420lse

Well u have the pin out ur half way there. Use a little pen. oil to juice it. take a scocket the size of the metal part the plastic is attached to, hit it or tap it with a hammer and when it goes slightly downward it is broke loose and you can remove it easily and turn it 180 and done copiesh.

TT

Right under the dash is a collar with a set screw in it, loosen the set screw slide the collar down a bit so you can lift the lower gear up and turn the wheel to where you want it, push it back down so the gears line up, push the collar back up tight, and tighten the set screw your all set.

X2 :thumbs:

C-Series14

Do you mean upside down as in you are looking at the bottom of the steering wheel as you sit in the seat or what? Bring it to SW Ohio and we will put it in my 12 ton press... :wh:

I'd say it is 180 degrees off Mike...

Oh...well, then he don't need to come to SW Ohio and have me remove it! :thumbs:

Kevin wh314

Thanks for the great replies gang. I wasn't sure if I could get to the sleeve you mentioned without taking the WHOLE thing apart or not. I do see a cotter pin that looks like it goes through the steering column and has shims sitting on top of it. so I guess I will have a go at it that way. Thanks again for the great advise and I hope to see lots of wheel horse folks at the CT. tractor show on May 14-15 :thumbs: Kevin

C-Series14

The only cotter pin in the area near the steering shaft is the one on the end of the horizontal shaft that runs to the front of the tractor. The collar spoke of earlier is to keep the steering shaft from lifting up, it goes against the bottom of the hoodstand...

dunk50

Kevin, the collar is item number 26 on this schematic. You should be able to reach it, I just did thanks to these guys. Kelly gave you good info, use it!! Really easy!!

https://lookup3.toro.com/partdex/index.cfm?xCaller=Toro

If that link doesn't work, enter 31-17KE02 and it will being up the schematics. Look down at the front axel and steering. Look at collar number 26