Sign in to follow this  
Bassquack

Kohler Engine

Bassquack

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHY SOME ENGINES ARE RED AND SOME BLACK. MY 77' B-100 HAS THE ORIGINAL ENGINE BUT IT IS BLACK, MOST ALL ENGINES I SEE ARE RED. IT IS A 10HP K241S. IT DOES APPEAR TO HAVE RED PAINT UNDER THE BLACK, BUT I REALLY DONT THINK IT HAS BEEN PAINTED. IF IT HAS, THEY DONE AN OUTSTANDING JOB ON IT. :thumbs:

can whlvr

for the most part the red engines were k series,the black ones were magnums,there are exceptions ,wheelhorse used other motors besides kohler,but what i told you appls to most of the kohlers

Bassquack

IT IS DIFFENENTLY A KOHLER. STILL HAS THE DECALS.

K241S

SPEC. 46636D

S/N 7454479

CAST IRON LINE

Brrly1

Tony, undoubtly the motor has been replaced. I think that some of the later year black hoods came with the black motors. That is just a guess maybe someoine can correct me. Also you might want to turn your capitol letters off. Welcome to Red Square. :thumbs::wh:

:D

:D

Kelly

Yes the Kohlers were red till 1980, so I would say yours may be the orig. paint but the engine has been changed at some point in the tractors life, post the spec no. off the engine, that will help tell the story.

Shuboxlover

K241S

SPEC. 46636D

S/N 7454479

CAST IRON LINE

Spec #

Horse'n Around

The Frankenhorse that my Dad left me has a black K181 that turned out to have been originally on a John Deere so that's a possibility too. Like Kelly said, research the spec# and it should tell you everything about the engine.

John

WH854

Type Riding Products

Engine/Motor Model # K241S-46756D

Engine/Motor Size# 10 hp

Engine/Motor Type 4 Cycle

Transmission Type Gear

Engine Starter Electric

Transmission Manufacturer Wheel Horse

Transmission Model # 103907

Transmission Speed 8 Speed

1977 B-100 (71-10-K801)

Chas

rmaynard

Unless you know the entire history of the tractor, and can definitely say otherwise, I would have to guess that the engine was replaced with a rebuilt and repainted one at some time.

The K241S 46636D was made for Wheel Horse, and as such would have come off the assembly line red. Also the 46636D came on 1976 and earlier models. The 1977 came with the 46756D.