Sign in to follow this  
hobie

Ag/Turf Tires?

hobie

I'm looking at new tires for my D-180, and wondering about which to get. I was thinking turf, because at least half the work will be over the lawn, and it does have a set of chains, but wondered about the Ag/Lug tires. Any general consensus about which is better for a tractor w/ FEL? PS: If anyone knows who to contact for the power steering kit for the D series, I'm interested. Thanks, Brian

farmer

Hi Brian,

Lots and lots of variables here.

How fussy are you about your turf?

How snowy/frosty are your winters?

Most important however I would say is, like nearly every other member you will find the horse you have will bite you, once bitten you'll start hunting for horse #2.

If this happens.....no more tyre problems..ags on the D, turfs for horse 2 :wh:

If however you somehow stick to just the D, I suggest looking for a second set of rims and get yourself some ags.

Good luck :thumbs:

hobie

Thanks! I confess to having admired some of the herds here. Having both would be ideal with one tractor. I think I'll go with turf, and hope to get the spare rims + ags down the road. :thumbs:

mavfreak

turf will give you the best of both worlds with a set of chains!

Kelly

If you go turfs, I sent you a PM I have a new set of 26x12x12 turfs for sale.

littleredrider

I have a set of Ags on both my tractors, and even the ranger with the little 18" ags, can plow some serious snow!!!! I was amazed at what it could do. No chains or weights, I only way bout 180.

My other tractor has dual 6-12 Ags, just playin' around in the snow was amazing as well. If the snow was deep enough, it would lift the front wheels off the ground (er snow) and sorta ride on top.

But now that the ground is getting soft, I need to be real careful where I go, I just know that if the tires spins there will be some nice ruts.....

C-Series14

Got Ag's on all of my C-Series and on my RJ...never really worried too much about what they did to the yard, just know they look bad! :wh: Been using Ag's for 15 years and have mowed alot of grass.... not one blade harmed. :thumbs:

rockbuilt

I have something a little different to say on the matter I have both (more than one horse) but I have found that ags for my lawn work the best I started using them because the horse with the turf tires was sick for a while so I used the one with ags to cut the grass the firs couple of cuts I was concerned because they were leaving cleat marks in the lawn but after a few cuts I noticed the ground was much smoother and I had no more mole ruts I now use ags on the lawn a few times each year to compact the soil and it seems to help. not to say this is the right thing to do but it works for me.

WH nut

The only problem I have with Ags, if you do slip you are going to dig a hole. But I do like it better than turfs. Turfs slip to easy on damp grass

earlleecliffton

ag

hobie

In addition to the traction, I love the look of the ags, but I do have chains, and Kelly has offered me a deal on turf tires too good to pass up. Now I'm looking for the ribbed tires for the front. Couldn't find them using the links here. I guess my size is unusual, 18 X 6.50-8. Thanks, Brian

SAM58

Grass will grow back....

But AG's look great! :thumbs:

IMG_0359.jpg