Sign in to follow this  
puddlejumper

Machinist/h55

puddlejumper

Guys, I recently purchased another H55. It didn't have any fire, but a new condensor cured that. I was about to start it when I decided to pull crankcase and make sure all was clean inside, since I already have one that I received disassemled in a crate with teeth missing from the pump gear. It was mixed in with other disassemled engines.

Well, since I had an example to follow I decided to put the disassemled one together also. Didn't get too far because camshaft was missing. There was what I believe to be a V60 cam in the box but it has an eccentric on it and won't work. However, I have an H60 that I siezed at plowdays last fall and they appear to be basically identical minus the portings for oil passages and a flyweight on the H60 cam that is not on the 55 cam. The H60 cam is lighter in weight due to more material removed from gear where fly weight is inset. Can a machinist cut the passages in the H60 cam and block the hole left by removal of flyweight making this H60 cam usable in the H55?

Also, the missing teeth on the pump gear - can it be welded up and new teeth cut? This one, I am sure, can be accomplished, but I am not sure how it would affect the temper of the gear.

I have wore a lot of different hats in my life but basically have no knowledge of the capability of a machinist or his tools.

Check out the pictures and any thoughts or ideas, pro or con, will be appreciated.

DSCI0619.jpg

DSCI0618.jpg

DSCI0617.jpg

DSCI0616.jpg

DSCI0615.jpg

DSCI0614.jpg

DSCI0613.jpg

DSCI0612.jpg

DSCI0611.jpg

puddlejumper

:thumbs: :wh::D Huh, This many a$$hole$ and no opinions :D .Come on guys if you think the wheel horse bug has ate my brain say so. I can take it and was kind of expecting it.

Kelly

Mitch I'm no machinest, but I think you could try to weld the gear, and grind new teeth, but I would have a welding shop do it, and use a hard rod so the teeth will not be soft and wear fast, as for the cam, again I feel it should work, the weight I don't think will be a issue, no idea on cost but if you can't find the parts, cost becomes a nonissue.

sorekiwi

:thumbs:

From one a$$hole to another!!

I have a box of Tecumseh crap out in the garage that I'll go have a look in.

Its been a so long since I looked at my H55 that I've forgotten what the bits looked like. I have most of a V60 there, I'm wondering if the oil pump drive gear is the same. I know the V60 rod was the same as the one in the H55, so there might be other parts that interchange.

Right now my 6 year old is demanding food, I'll get back to you when things calm down!!

sorekiwi

OK Mitch, here's some pics:

IMG_3211.jpg

IMG_3212.jpg

IMG_3213.jpg

Let me know if you want anything measured or a closer picture. I'm not positive it was a V60 now, I dont see a tag anywhere on the motor. It was a vert though.

PM me if these bits might work for you.

puddlejumper

PM sent.

It would be nice to know what them came out of. If all the info was compiled on the h55 throughout this site and pinned in one spot it would pretty well answer all the questions anybody has about them, Which I know there are alot of basket case 55s out there that people are just looking for one piece. I might have this machine work done just to see if it will work. If so the Info is on this site to cover all the internal components needed or how to repair them.

:thumbs: RedSquare :wh:

Coadster32

Possible--yes. Most worth while to do-not really. Spare parts would definatly be better, especially for the time factor. Balance is rather importaint. Also mixing materials in a heated environment isn't a too good of idea. Just my $.02

ol550

PM sent. :thumbs: Mike

Kelly

Ok how about a VT55C would that have the same parts??

puddlejumper

Not sure, But I think if you look at the bottom of it you ncan see the pump housing cast into the pan. I hace not taken the one I found last night apart yet But the way the bottom is cast looks real promising. And the model number on the one you mentioned is definetly a gotta look possibility.

EDIT--RETRACT everything above NO parts in last nights find.

ol550

You can pick up at your local post office. :thumbs: Mike