Sign in to follow this  
Buck_Merle

H70-130165E Tecumseh Engine

Buck_Merle

Hello everyone,

I just joined this group. I'm a DIY type of person. I inherited my fathers Wheel Horse 551 Suburban this year. He bought it new in 1961. It is still in pretty good shape but my plans are to restore it to as like new condition as possible. It came with the mower deck, dozer blade and the dump cart.

My issue is he had the original engine (Larsen/Tecumseh HT55C) replaced about 15 years ago. It was replaced by Tecumseh H70-130165E. Unfortunately it sat for many years without proper service. The governor linkage assembly was also missing. We took the tractor to a local repair and they were able to get the engine running. Rebuilt the carb from parts of other carburetors and rigged up something for the governor.

The engine starts, does not idle but does race. But first things first. I'm not sure he replaced the governor linkage assembly with the correct parts and possible placement. I've searched the web and haven't found anything concerning this configuration. Can anyone help with this issue? I'll move on to the next step when the engine is setup correctly.

My other question is this the correct replacement engine? What is recommended and where do I find them?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I grew up mowing the yard and have spent many, many hours on it and would love to get her going again.

Thank you in advance for any help,

Paul

wheelhorse656

if you got a replacment engine i would try for a 5 or 6hp tecumseh the original lauson engines are hard to find in running order. they look almost exactly alike on the out side to. hope this helps.

Anglo Traction

Hi Paul, Firstly , :thumbs: I can only offer some partial advice. You can check an Illustrated Parts List for your H70 on the Partstree Website. A Parts and Service Manuals can also be downloaded from the Internet.

The Govenor Linkage Set up is the same layout as an H60 (but part numbers are different).

So if it helps, I can take a piccy of the the setup on an H60 for you to refer to (sorry it's on a yellow and green JD). However I won't be able to do this until next week, unless another Member is able to assist beforehand.

Regards