Sign in to follow this  
sorekiwi

Source for 4 rib front tires??

sorekiwi

Anyone know where I can get some (new) front tires like this?

IMG_1835-1.jpg

Thanks

TT

Mike, I don't know of any sources for the old 4.80 X 8 straight rib tires. Most of the time, IRC or Carlisle "sawtooth" tread tires look close enough, but naturally aren't correct for restorations.

I found one site that listed a Carlisle 4.80 X 8 rib tire (but not wheelbarrow tires) HERE, but have never seen them in person. (I've seen lots of the bigger ones though.) Might be worth investigating?

Some guys even use the farm tractor style triple-ribs, which can be found at places like Tucker Tire. :whistle:

CasualObserver

They're not an exact match... but Miller Tire has these from Carlisle... t_turf_guide.jpg They're 4.80x8

You can see them here.... just click on Lawn and Garden, then click on Rib http://www.millertire.com/

sorekiwi

Thanks guys.

I was hoping to get an exact match, but failing that I'll go for the saw-tooth.

linen beige

They're not an exact match... but Miller Tire has these from Carlisle... t_turf_guide.jpg They're 4.80x8

You can see them here.... just click on Lawn and Garden, then click on Rib http://www.millertire.com/

I can't get the link to copy, but Tires Unlimited has the same Carlisles for about 3/4 the price.

linen beige

Anyone know where I can get some (new) front tires like this?

IMG_1835-1.jpg

Thanks

I still haven't figured out how to post a link, but check out Coker Tire. Work your way though the motorcycle tires to the Cushman Scooter, :WRS: That's right, Cushman scooter tires. They have 'em in blackwall and 2 1/4 inch whitewalls. :D The side walls look a little plain, <_< but the tread pattern looks to be about as close as I've seen to the old Silvertowns. :whistle: But, brace yourself for the price. :D They also have reproduced Silvertowns, but only go down to a 10 inch tire. So close, yet SO FAR AWAY!

sorekiwi

But, brace yourself for the price. :whistle:

OUCH!

linen beige

CasualObserver

Only one of my early 60s horses had BFG Silvertowns on the front... the others have all been Generals... same tread pattern, but the tire brand was General.

Anyone else? :whistle:

linen beige

Only one of my early 60s horses had BFG Silvertowns on the front... the others have all been Generals... same tread pattern, but the tire brand was General.

Anyone else? :whistle:

Maybe it's regional? :WRS: Mine are, RJ-58 BFG on front, Goodyear on back: 400 Suburbans both BFG on front, one has Goodyear on back, the other had newer generals (I used them for duals on my 702): 702 BFG on front, Goodyear on back: and they came from In. and Oh. 704 Goodyear on front, Firestone "snow tire" looking turf tires on the back. came from St. Louis. The 400 with BFGs on the front and Goodyear ag lugs on the back was my dad's. it was only 2 months old when he bought it and has never had the tires changed.

Rollerman

It seems like we touched on this subject a long time ago?

But I'm guessing Wheel Horse used what was available & at the best price whenever they needed to restock.

So you'd see differant tire combo's & brands on the same models.

Just my thoughts. :whistle:

Teddy da Bear

I believe I saw some at rural king in my town.

I thought as I looked at them.....those are exactly like the tires on my Lo boy, but for a garden tractor.

Mike

Niles, Mi

Rollerman

I believe I saw some at rural king in my town.

Mike you gota love Rural King...only wish I had one a lot closer.

I'm between your store "Niles" & the one in Kendalville.

Maybe I'll have to take a drive to Niles this weekend?...check out the tires & get a seat for Terry.... :whistle: