Sign in to follow this  
neil

tecumseh engine help for my 653

neil

I am restoring my 653 but it doesnt have an engine , i have searched now for over 6 months for a replacement engine here in the UK, but have had no luck up until now. I have the chance to buy a 8hp tecumseh engine , i know its not the original size engine for that tractor but the extra hp will come in handy.

What i would like to know is if i would have to make any modifications to the body work to fit this engine in as i dont want to cut anything for it it fit.

so if any of you guys that know about the 8hp Tecumseh engines ide be grateful if you could tell me if this would work or not.

stevasaurus

Not sure about the 8hsp techy...but the 6 and 7hsp should be OK. :thumbs:

wheelhorse656

you can mont t\one one on there but you will need the proper mount. i have an extra one that should work. but shipping to the UK would be the killer. check and see if it has the extra plate bolted to the bottom of the engine. hope this helps ya out Neil. :thumbs:

sorekiwi

I had a 654 for a while with an HM80 Tecumseh (It was on it when I got it).

It had good power, as good as any roundhood with a K181 that I have, a little more prone to wheelstand because of the light weight of the engine.

The hood was hacked up for aircleaner clearance. I never looked too hard to see if I could find a different inlet manifold or aircleaner to solve this problem.

Here is some pics that will show what you will be dealing with...

IMG_2551.jpg

IMG_2270.jpg

neil

you can mont t\one one on there but you will need the proper mount.

Hi Jordan thanx for the info

what does the mount plate do & is it important that it goes on :thumbs:

i dont mind the shipping cost providing its not too outragious

Kelly

I had a 656 that had a 8hp tucky and the hood was cut just about like MIkes, and I have a 604 that has a 8hp with the hood cut up, even cut a hole on top to check the oil, I thought they just bolted to the stock riser plate??

neil

I dont really want to cut any of the hood or body work so it sound like the *hp engine is gonna be too big, to fit snugly

maybe i should wait the extra time to see what comes up.

So if i put an 8hp Kohler engine on my 653 what does that make the tractor, would it be an 854 ? although it says its a 653 on the tractor ID plate

what would i call it.

TT

So if i put an 8hp Kohler engine on my 653 what does that make the tractor, would it be an 854 ?

It would be a 653 with a K-181 engine. :thumbs:

neil

This is the engine that i am hoping to put on the 653.

can anyone see any potential problems with instalation

Attached Image

post-61-1301513212.jpg

neil

here is another pic

hope you can help

Attached Image

post-61-1301513655.jpg

Anglo Traction

Hi Neil, I've done a bit of digging around on Techy Model versions for you and I reckon that is an HH80. The Engine's Base/Oil Pan takes retaining bolts that pass up either through a Mounting plate into the Eng Base/Pan or bolts directly through the Tractor Frame into the Engine's base?. If it needs a Plate, fabricating one should not be a problem. I don't know which would be required for your Tractor.

As we discussed on the phone, the Muffler direction (PTO side) should not pose a problem. I reckon the Carb/Filter Housing may just fit without chopping the Hood, but without seeing both Tractor and Engine 'In the Flesh', I can't be sure.

I reckon you could do a lot worse and have more problems looking and waiting for another suitable Engine.

Maybe a Techy Expert Member here can clarify this a bit more, before you commit, but I 'm aware your limited with time to make a decision.

Shame your at the other end of the Country. I'll have to try and carve out some time to visit.

Regards