Sign in to follow this  
shootinok

here we go - into the Transmission - -

shootinok

When I got this beauty, the guy selling it said he bought it from its original owner. ( I know - we've all heard that one before)

He told me it had set for several years but with a minor tune up and new gas he had it running but it lacked power. So he decided to get into the transmission. thats where he stopped and it has set that way for the last two years.

You can see the pump hosing has been separated but thats as far as he got; then he gave up.

5564454491_36e187f163.jpg

shootinok

Ok - now I finally got a weekend off and dived into my new project.

I have taken off the Transmission and started to disassemble it.

The gear box and the pump both look pretty good inside, that is from my zero experience viewpoint.

5565041358_33d7743f15.jpg

5565217743_92f7eaa8bf.jpg

dgjks6

keep it up and document the process. I've always wanted to see a complete hydraulic rebuild.

shootinok

Here is my question (for now)

Looks like the Thrust plates are not something I can pick up at walmart :thumbs:

5564468697_2047049ebd.jpg

Mine don't look damaged, maybe a little worn, but can they be "dressed up" for example with 600 or 1000 grit wet paper?

:wh:

TT

You can see the pump hosing has been separated but thats as far as he got; then he gave up.

It would have been a lot better for you if he would have given up before he started.

(chances are it was a sticking valve or broken relief spring and the internals of the pump wouldn't have needed touched)

I wouldn't worry about doing anything inside the pump other than cleaning it well before you put it back together.

Once it's back together, YOU try it and see if there's any problems, or how bad they actually are.

can whlvr

good luck on the rebuild,i too tore a hydro apart and found a broken retainer ring and another peice that had to be made at a machine shop,i took mine apart and when i saw that i needed parts i went to a recommended hydro shop in the city,he was very good to me because it only cost me 350 cash but he said that it should have been alot more,if u do it get the sundstard manual and take pics the whole way through,it must go together proper or u r wasting your time,like tt said it could have been a valve or spring,but it couldbe serious too,heres what mine looked like 008-5.jpg006-3.jpg

kpinnc

I wouldn't worry about doing anything inside the pump other than cleaning it well before you put it back together.

I agree 100%, with an emphasis on CLEAN. Think surgery clean- no grit or grime of any kind in there, or you may as well use it as a boat anchor.

Kevin

shootinok

got a chance to play today with my little Hydro project...

Got the hydro motor cleaned up and all back together. everything inside looked real good.

Then on tho the Pump...

I cant get the Check valve plugs out. :thumbs:

Any help on this...??

I will put a little Kroil on them tomorrow; maybe that will help

Also - I found out that I need another one of the little clips that go on the cam _ Plate tensioner - Toro part # 5998

Any body got 'em ???

halbert

Do you have the Sundstrand/WH manual Can Whlvr mentioned? Some of the internal parts may look alike, but actually are quite different--especially in the acceleration control valves. The manual can steer you around a sad mistake. Put EVERY piston back in the hole it came out of; and this may sound like an echo, but you can't keep things too clean. Good luck.

shootinok

Got her all clean and ready to put back together...

5620343096_c1787cccd2_s.jpg

I dressed up the thrust plates with a few very light passes with 400g paper and some oil.

5620341476_9c329ecd71_s.jpg

a few new O rings and a couple turns of the wrench... and... Ta Da

5620349814_cb6249cbb0_s.jpg

We'll see if it works in a couple days.

:thumbs:

Coadster32

Thanks for this posting. I was wondering what was in there. Hope it works out well for you. :thumbs:

tgranthamfd

Looks like you got it cleaned up really nice on the outside, too. What are you working on, or did I miss that part somewhere?

shootinok

this goes to a '79 C-121

my first Wheel Horse, and I already have the fever..... :thumbs:

shootinok

What do you do when you cant find a part.......

Improvise!

Can't get the little clips that hold in the cam on the lever - Make some

5629428515_11c232a249.jpg

also missing one of the little 1/4" allen plugs ...

1/4" brass pipe thread plug fits just right. :thumbs:

5630012718_3dcc4830e5.jpg

getting closer -

Transmission installed today; I sure hope this thing runs soon.

Probably would help if I could put in more than an hour or two in a week :wh:

corn53

Cant wait to hear if u fixed it!!! Good luck!!!! :thumbs: