dgjks6

Calling all PTO experts

dgjks6

I got my c-85 running. Spent time adjusting the PTO. Adjusted the break.

The PTO spins all the time (unless I use the foot brake - meaning I put my shoe on it). Engaged and disengaed, it still spins. PTO brake is useless.

Is this normal? Should I rebuild the PTO?

Kelly

I have only had the PTO brake work right on a few tractors, most times you need a new brake, then at the top of the brackets for the PTO there is a bushing that is commonly worn out all the linkage must be in good shape or it will not pull the bell out far enough, and then most of us have the trunnion turned tight so the old clutch does not slip, and that also makes the set up not pull the bell out as far as need be, me I don't worry about it, make sure the inner seal is good on the bell and has grease on the bearing, BUT do not put to much on it, it will come out and get on the clutch disk, that is why you need to check the seal.

rmaynard

If you can stop it with your shoe without taking off too much leather, then the brake, if properly adjusted, and in good condition, should stop it as well. If the brake is not stopping it, and the adjustments are correct, and the brake pad has enough material and is not hard and shiny, then it sounds like the hub is not free-wheeling when disengaged. I would then look at a bad bearing or sleeve. Since your PTO does not have a helper spring inside to assist in pushing the hub away from the clutch plate, it is all done mechanically with the hoop and the lever/rod mechanism.

Disengaging the lever should pull the hub outward and against the brake pad (item 23 in parts picture) If the brake material is good, it should stop the rotation.

C-Series14

Also, it will spin much easier without a belt on it...but, with things adjusted correctly like the guys stated above, it should stop it.

mavfreak

I could never get the PTO brake to work right, rotational force will make them spin. I just lightly engage the PTO to stop it from spinning. Its really bad on my commando 800 with the bar PTO engagement.

WH nut

If you are running it without the belt to the mower on it may spin a little just the rotational force of the motor,Now if it spins with the mower intalled then the engagement lever is adjusted to tight

canam1991

the first thing i do when i get a tractor is take it off cause it never works when the deck or anyother attachment is on the clutch it never spins

TT

Taking it completely off isn't really a good idea - especially if you forget to replace the pin through the stub shaft on the end of the pulley and the "hoop" swings open. That worthless little brake pad will keep the PTO pulley from flying off. (and landing bearing-side down in dirt & stones :wh: )

It's presence was undoubtedly mandated by a safety act of some sort, and aside from keeping that one little ring on the PTO pulley stripped of paint and polished up nicely, putting a lot of money, time, and effort into trying to make it work as it was (hopefully) intended makes about as much sense as the braille dots on the buttons of a drive thru ATM. :thumbs:

Save Old Iron

or the part could fly off and hit you good in that ATM button poking elbow !

then you will be singing the blues for sure baby

RayCharles1.jpg

JoeMonag

I recently rebuilt the PTO on both my 310-8 and 416-8. I repalced the brake on each. Remenber when you adjust the brake gap of .012", to engage the PTO; (with the engine not running of course) then set the gap to .012". When the PTO is did-engaged, the brake should stop the pulley from turning.

Joe in Norton

dgjks6

I recently rebuilt the PTO on both my 310-8 and 416-8. I repalced the brake on each. Remenber when you adjust the brake gap of .012", to engage the PTO; (with the engine not running of course) then set the gap to .012". When the PTO is did-engaged, the brake should stop the pulley from turning.

Joe in Norton

say that slower.

engage the PTO - with the engine off, and set the gap between the brake and the PTO to .012?

rmaynard

From my service manual, here is the adjustment procedure:

The following is done with the engine OFF

1. Engage the PTO clutch.

2. Loosen the two bolts that hold the brake pad bracket to the support bracket.

3. Place a .012 inch (.3 mm) feeler gauge between the brake pad and the clutch pulley.

4. While holding the brake pad against the feeler gauge and pulley, tighten the two brake bracket bolts.

Straight for the Horse's mouth.

Bob