Sign in to follow this  
sscotsman

More on mulching/gator blades.

sscotsman

I just searched the forum, and did a lot of reading on old threads here concerning mulching blades and "gator blades"..

One thing many people recommended is using two sets of blades.

the 'original style" cutting blades on the bottom, and mulching/gator blades on the top. makes sense I suppose..but I have a few questions I didnt see discussed in the other threads:

1. why two blades specifically? Arent modern mulching blades designed to be used by themselves? they cut *and* "mulch" at the same time. (I have a modern craftsman push mower..it has one mulching blade, and no discharge..works great!)

So why not just one mulching blade for the wheel horse? why do we need two blades? im not quite understanding the point of the dual blade setup.

2. Concerning the "rear discharge" of the older style mower decks..

these decks are open to the rear..would it make sense, if you want a mulching setup, to somehow "cover" the rear, so that the deck is more contained all the way around? my modern craftsman mower is setup that way..no official discharge area at all, unless you attach the bag.

Im going to use an 854:

1180177487_7ysvh-M.jpg

And a 363/364 deck:

1182725808_Sp37P-M.jpg

1182725822_MLTeU-M.jpg

thanks!

Scot

farmer

Scot,

I think you have partly answered your own question, from what I gather the deck on most Wheel Horses is to "open", great for cutting longer grass but not good to hold the clippings long enough to mulch them.

So its either more blades needed or...baffle the blade you've got. Baffled ? :thumbs:

sscotsman

Thanks Rex!

yes, that makes sense..dual blades with no baffle, single blade with baffle.

has anyone ever tried "single blade with baffle" before?

I cant be the first person to consider it! :thumbs:

thanks,

Scot

littleredrider

I'd like to find the regular ol' blades for that style deck....

farmer

I remember a post sometime ago where the mulching question was raised, the chap fitted a thick rubber "skirt" right around the bottom of his deck with limited success. I think some of the newer decks have a mulching option, but yours would be very difficult to baffle as the blades actually overlap.....mmm..not easy :thumbs:

sscotsman

I remember a post sometime ago where the mulching question was raised, the chap fitted a thick rubber "skirt" right around the bottom of his deck with limited success. I think some of the newer decks have a mulching option, but yours would be very difficult to baffle as the blades actually overlap.....mmm..not easy :thumbs:

Rex, now im not quite following you..

what do the overlapping blades have to do with baffling? :thumbs:

I would just want to lower all the outer edges, so the grass cant quickly fly out the side or the rear..so it stays inside long enough to get all chopped up.

perhaps we have different ideas of what "baffling" means? :thumbs:

im referring to it as simply removing/covering any side or rear discharge.

The deck in question is already covered on three sides..I would simply cover the rear discharge as well..

I dont understand what you mean by the overlapping edges getting in the way?

in the way of what? :thumbs:

thanks,

Scot

littleredrider

These decks aren't really designed for mulching, they don't have enough blade speed to keep the grass airborne for it to keep getting cut by the blades.

The newer lawn mowers have crazy speed, probly the main reason a push mower has almost as much horse as these tractors do....

farmer

Ok, on modern mulching decks the area around the blades is restricted to the minimum. "Standard" :thumbs: decks have half moon baffles (side discharge at least) that follow the blades helping with air flow. But the blades on these decks don't overlap..they're staggered. Your deck has to have the blades "timed" otherwise they would hit each other. Baffling your deck would therefore be very difficult. I think that skirting your deck would not confine the blades enough to be effective as a mulcher..hope this makes sense :thumbs: :thumbs:

sscotsman

well, I think I will just go ahead and try out the gator blades on the deck..

(assuming they exist, and I can find them)

(just the gator blades, no "dual blade" setup)

and see how it works!

I will try the deck "stock" first..if that works ok, I will just go with it!

if im still getting grass clumping, I might experiment with some baffling..

I looked up the original blade part numbers, the 1964 model 364 deck manual says :

4116 - blade R.H. 18"

4117 - blade L.H. 18"

Looking through other threads, and googling, I found some references to those blades..(im going to put them all here, for reference)

If you go to Toro and look up the blades for a RM-364 gear driven deck they show 4116 and 4117 18" blades left and right are no longer available. They should still be available by ordering kit # 8014 but they fail to note this.

Toro-Lawnboy

8014 BLADE KIT 52362

looking for price and availability on blades for a Wheel Horse rear discharge deck. The Wheel Horse model of the deck is RM-366. the Wheel Horse blade numbers are 4116 & 4117, those numbers cross to Toro # 8014 or Toro kit 52362.

The Toro 8014 is $58.95 and can be purchased through the link below.

http://www.lawnmowerpros.com/detail.asp?id=8014

both quotes above from:

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=11092

Looks like there might not be a Gator blade option for this deck! :thumbs:

I will keep digging..

Scot

sscotsman

I just sent an email to Specialty Small Engines:

http://www.gatorblade.com/

asking specifically about this deck, and those blade part numbers.

I will let you know what they say!

Scot

sscotsman

Hello SSE,

Can you tell me if Gator blades are available for this deck?

Wheel Horse Model RM-364 mower deck, from 1964.

Original Wheel Horse blade part numbers are:

4116 - blade R.H. 18"

4117 - blade L.H. 18"

thanks!

Scot

Scot,