Sign in to follow this  
hcminis

Saturdays Haul...or Drop Off

hcminis

Well, haven't been around much but been lurking. Finally was able to snag another ball burner for a fair price. Guy was headed my way for an auction so it basically got delivered. Can't beat that. Did buy it site unseen ... Has several problems but not worried. Needed the foot rest for the 401 I am restoring. Plus, had an extra hood and hood stand. So, thought what the heck. Still trying to decide if it will get parted out or be my snow pusher. If I make the snow pusher then gonna try one of those Harbor Freight clone motors.

DSC04707.jpg

DSC04708.jpg

DSC04709.jpg

Worst part...yikes

DSC04710.jpg

DSC04711.jpg

Never seen this happen to a seat spring....

DSC04720.jpg

Need a new tool tray

DSC04721.jpg

After some cleaning

DSC04718.jpg

DSC04724.jpg

mavfreak

looks little ruffI think it could be saved if just a snow pusher!

hcminis

Heath,

She is pretty rough. However, the foot rest were what I was mainly after. Plus, the linkage rod for the brake is better than the one for my 401. The fenders, frame, lift handle, and a few other little things could be blasted and repainted. The transmission does shift in all gears and seems to be ok. So, I am hoping with the engine installed it will push the snow and be the "worker"

420lse

Mabe pop one of those Carroll Stream diesels in and watch it sip the fuel. Nice score.

KB9LOR

I saw it on CL also, but passed, not much into those....but nice grab anyways!

Buzz

Never seen this happen to a seat spring....

DSC04720.jpg

Need a new tool tray

DSC04721.jpg

If you put them in an electrolosis tank, would anything come out? :thumbs:

Kelly

Little ruff, is that the hood that came with it? looks pretty good, I had a seat spring do that, I think the rust from the bolt built up and split it.

VinsRJ

HF Clone :thumbs: Can't beat them for a project like this. I've got a couple of them running on nut roasters. :wh:

hcminis

Kelly, that isn't the hood that came with it. Got that from Indy... You got any extra seat springs and foot rest? Don't really need the period correct. The round cast style would do...for the right price.

You know it Vince... Might be getting two now. Still can't get the 551 running. The dern K121 is killing me. Think now the starter is getting weak. So, thought about just saving the ole girl and replacing it with something that will run. Will I have to cut down the air breather and muffler? OR, will they fit? Right now they price on those Clones is $150.00 They went up I guess.

mr.pipes

Right now they price on those Clones is $150.00 They went up I guess.

The 6.5hp has been $169 or $179 for a while but there is a sale or coupon about 50% of the time. I get emails from HF at least once a week about sales. There was a coupon for the 6.5hp for $109 that expired 3/13/11. Right now it is on sale for $149 so you can get it for $120 with a 20% off coupon. Not as cheap as $109 but you can't use a 20% off coupon with a coupon for a $109 engine anyways.

You can usually get one for about $125 online but you can't buy the $12 two year warranty.

dgjks6

If your going to push snow with it, don't think of it as a "ball burner". Consider it an optional "package warmer". Keep frost bite off the important parts.

Hammerhead

Yeh this is a 1960 Wheel Horse from what I see. So the hood you have on it is for a 1961. Your throttle parts go in a square hole instead of that round hole. I have a few of the long cast iron footrest's that I would trade for the one's that are on your Horse, if you want to trade? I'd go for it myself, even trade. Shoot me an email if you want, I sent you one about the other stirrup style footrest's like you asked about. Thanks...Keith :thumbs:

mr.pipes

Sunday's paper had a coupon for the HarborFreight 6.5hp for $89

hcminis

Just picked up a H.F. 6.5 HP motor for $99.99. Didn't see the ad for $89.99. Gonna get another one mid month. Will see how my tech experience is on fitting one to the 551 and/or basket case listed here.