Sign in to follow this  
jwersal

1973 8 speed 8 hp

jwersal

Hi folks! New to the forum. I have a '73 Wheelhorse with the 8 hp Kohler engine. It is blown and not rebuildable (damaged block). I've looked at new lawn tractors, but they just don't build them like they used to, and, besides, I hate to not keep the WH going. Any ideas on where I can get a good used or rebuilt one? The price tag on a new engine was way out of my budget. Thanks! Oh-- also wondering if it is feasible to move up to a larger engine, maybe a 10 hp?

wheelhorse656

:thumbs:

baerpath

Thers a KT17 listed in the for sale section that would work. I've got a few also but shipping engines isn't cheap. A location would be a good thing

Duane

Kelly

First :thumbs: second, if your tractor is the model with the 10" rear rims, a 8hp will be the only bolt in with out mods, put your location in your signature, that way we know where you are it's easier to help you that way, I have a couple 8hp Kohlers here in MI.

JC 1965

:thumbs: can't help you with the engine but :thumbs: :thumbs:

mavfreak

kthack657

:thumbs: sorry cant help you with the motor

bunson70

Hi jwersal! :thumbs: Like Duane was saying shipping a motor will cost a bundle of money. It will most likely have to go freight, not cheap at all. I would check out your local classified, rummage sales or check out your local Craigslist. Good luck!!

fabricator2009

Daddy Don

repairman

:thumbs: the 1" engine plate can be removed and will reveal the original engine mounting

holes an older 10 hp k should fit :thumbs:

jwersal

Thanks everyone for the welcome! We are way out in Colorado, so not very convenient to most of you who seem to be in the midwest and northeast. I have located a company "Kustom" that sells rebuilt K181's for a price I can swallow. Anyone familiar with this outfit--they are in Ohio? A short block for $499.

I grew up with Wheelhorses in MN. My Dad has a '62 Ranger he bought new in '62, and a newer '67.

Forest Road

Do you run a mower deck or snowblower? If not you could get away w/ a honda clone for a couple hundred $$$. Some of them even bolt up to the factory PTO. There's a bunch of aftermarket options. Just be patient! Good luck!!!!

boovuc

I think if you just wait a little while, one will come your way. The K181 was made in great volumes. I happened onto three in the course of a year. Two of the three were fine. The other was a bit smokey! :thumbs:

I know we are a little more centralized to where :thumbs: dominated sales in high-end lawn equipment but if you wait a while and keep checking Craigslist and 'MAYBE" Ebay, you may come up with a cheaper drop-in solution.

Best of Luck to You!

BooVuc

Mill Hall, PA

Kelly

Just so you know also just about any 8hp Kohler will fit, does not matter what it came off, 90% of them are the same basic engine, most use a standard 1" crank, that should help your search, and like I said if your tractor has the 10" rear rims a bigger engine will not fit with out mods, one the hood on those models is a few inches shorter and you will not be able to put the hood back on.

jwersal

Thanks everyone for all the good info. I'll keep an eye on ebay, etc. for a bit-- but the grass is gonna be growing pretty quick, so, if I have to, a can fall back on buying a rebuilt 8 hp. Our WH is used primarily for mowing, and has a blade for plowing what little snow we get. No snowblowing!