Dresden Guy

Brought home a 36" tiller today

Dresden Guy

I brought home a 7-1251 (1973 or 1974 no serial no. available) 36" tiller today. I am going to mount it on my 1976 C-160/8. The WH dealer included the rockshaft which is required to adapt to my 1976 WH, however I already have that on my C-160.

As you can tell from the picture of my tiller, the PO had a "baling-wire" type of lift cable that bent the one small lift bar and bracket (Note - the bent bar/& bracket issue is mentionedd in a tiller Service Bulletin). Also, I know that I will need to mount a lift plate on the front of the tiller (another Service Bulletin)

DSC00923.jpg

I think I have all the parts I need (including some spares: rock shaft and rear axle bracket, brass rockshaft bushings, and shim washers), but I need a picture of how and/or where to attach the lift-assist spring on the tractor and on the tiller (spring is laying on top of tiller). :thumbs:

The dealer said to "cut off most of the small lift bar and bend the end and drill a hole for one end of spring, and attach the other end to the frame" - where on the frame???

If someone has some detailed pictures of the assist-spring hookup, I would be grateful.

I purchased the cable, trunnion, clevis and idler spring, knowing I could do my own cable assembly, but I'm needing to get the tiller up and running ASAP!

The parts cost as follows ( :thumbs: ) cable - $34.89; trunnion - $15.04; clevis - $11.83; and idler spring - $4.18 Total = $65.94 :thumbs: That's just crazy, I know!!

cabletrunnionclevisspring.jpg

I know someone has the picture(s) of the correct hookup :thumbs:

Thanks!

wovennut

Nice pick. Is that why they call you an American Wheel Horse Picker :thumbs::thumbs: :thumbs:

Kelly

You will need to look at the axle brackets you have, dose one have a short piece of angle iron for the plate that holds it to the axle, instead of the thick plate, if not you will need a short piece of angle iron, about 1" longer than the stock plate, drill the holes so the extra sticks out the back, then drill a hole on the upright part of the steel, at the back that is where the spring hooks, oh ya this goes on the left axle tube, I hope I havn't totaly confused you, I think I did myself.

Dresden Guy

HUH?? :thumbs: Say What!! :thumbs:

Kelly, I think I get the idea of what you're saying, but I'm a little bit "bumfuzzled".

Thanks Kelly, I do appreciate your help ......... any pics of this Rube Goldberg??

squonk

Steve, where did you buy the trunion and clevis in your pic. I may need something like that on a mid grader/ backblade I'm building.

Kelly

I'll get pictures tonight, that is a factory set up, as crude as it sounds.

Dresden Guy

Steve, where did you buy the trunion and clevis in your pic. I may need something like that on a mid grader/ backblade I'm building.

Mike (Squonk),

First off.... Thanks for shipping the moldboard! The UPS man was a bit incredulous as he handed the plow to me!

For those who missed Squonk's ingenious packing and shipping, which saved me about $60 in shipping - see the pic. Instead of being almost $90 to ship in a box, it turned out to be around $34 :thumbs:

DSC00871.jpg

Mike, as for the trunnion and clevis, I got them from a WH dealer in Newcomerstown, OH. His name is Danny Welch, and his phone number is: 740-498-6613, and he has a good inventory of NOS parts. The clevis I bought is a "short" clevis (2" approx.) and there is a "long" clevis (3

Dresden Guy

Kelly,

I will look for your pics ....... :thumbs:

I took a picture of the tiller bar/bracket that is bent from the incorrect lifting angle:

WH7-1251tillerlift-1.jpg

I read the following Service Bulletins,

WHSB #143 issued 3/73 "Model 7-1251 Tiller - Brace Installed Incorrectly"

WHSB #145 issued 5/73 "Model 7-1251 tiller - Drive Belt - Axle contact"

WHSB #T10 / issued 7/90 - "Slot & Clevis Hitch Conversions, 36" Tiller Conversions"

I will install the correct lifting plate, as shown in bulletin #T10 and remove the "Rube Goldberg" eyebolt and welded-on washer ( 3 5/16" X 5

squonk

Steve, do you have part numbers on the clevis and trunion?

Dresden Guy

Steve, do you have part numbers on the clevis and trunion?

Mike,

Yes I do......

Trunnion - 104524

Clevis - 108145 (short version approx. 2")

Cable - 108144

Hope this helps. :thumbs:

Steve (Dresden Guy)

sorekiwi

As spring is here, I hope this may help others wanting to get some "seat time playing in the dirt" :thumbs:

Steve, I cant help you with your hookup problem, but I dont think you need that thing "working ASAP" - it was snowing up here on my way home from work :thumbs:

Kelly

HUH?? :thumbs: Say What!! :thumbs:

Kelly, I think I get the idea of what you're saying, but I'm a little bit "bumfuzzled".

Thanks Kelly, I do appreciate your help ......... any pics of this Rube Goldberg??

Well here is the pictures, one of a bracket I had in the barn and a spring, and one mounted on my 520, this is factory, not a Rube Goldberg I think that means a cobble job but not sure?

100_3356.jpg

100_3358.jpg

Dresden Guy

Great pictures - Thanks Kelly..... now that makes sense..... sorry I was so dense! :thumbs:

Q: Where does that spring attach on your tiller? To the place where I have the bent bracket? The WH dealer said to cut/shorten the bent bar and drill it with a spring hole ---- sound right to you? :thumbs:

Q: In your pic, is that angle bracket with the spring hole available or should I just make one myself for the left side of the axle bracket?

Kelly

I think that is where it hooks to the tiller?, when I had the tiller on last a few years ago, I did not have a helper spring, so I've never used one, I always grunted to lift the tiller, as for the part, probably cheaper to make, it's just a short piece of angle iron and 3 3/8" holes.

Forest Road

I just picked up a tiller last week. Can anyone measure their idler pulley diameters and the center to center distance? Thanks

Dresden Guy

I just picked up a tiller last week. Can anyone measure their idler pulley diameters and the center to center distance? Thanks

Cole's Dad:

I measured the tiller idler assembly and mine is:

large 'V' pulley diameter - 4

mcwh1950

Q: In your pic, is that angle bracket with the spring hole available or should I just make one myself for the left side of the axle bracket?

Yes p/n 108485 above 17.00 or 18.00 doller.

Q: Where does that spring attach on your tiller? To the place where I have the bent bracket? The WH dealer said to cut/shorten the bent bar and drill it with a spring hole ---- sound right to you?

hope the following picture help you some.

n_a.jpg

swmich.jpg

20110323123533.jpg

20110323123538.jpg

20110323123713.jpg

some of this pictures belong to other member here on this forum.

Forest Road

Thanks for the info. Pics would be great! One from the top and another from the side are plenty. I'll be hitting a local industrial supply for the pulleys so sizing was key!

I'm kicking myself for letting my other tiller go! It was complete. I'm glad to have another one!

Dresden Guy

Thanks for the info. Pics would be great! One from the top and another from the side are plenty. I'll be hitting a local industrial supply for the pulleys so sizing was key!

I'm kicking myself for letting my other tiller go! It was complete. I'm glad to have another one!

Cole's Dad,

Here's some pics of the idler pulley assembly.

Tilleridlerpulleyassy2.jpg

Tilleridlerpulleyassy.jpg

Tilleridlerassy3.jpg

Not the bests pics, but hope they'll do.

Steve (Dresden Guy)

Dresden Guy

Yes p/n 108485 above 17.00 or 18.00 doller.

Q: Where does that spring attach on your tiller? To the place where I have the bent bracket? The WH dealer said to cut/shorten the bent bar and drill it with a spring hole ---- sound right to you?

hope the following picture help you some.

n_a.jpg

swmich.jpg

20110323123533.jpg

20110323123538.jpg

20110323123713.jpg

some of this pictures belong to other member here on this forum.

Thanks,

I will order that axle bracket and will work on the bar on the tiller, so as to hook the spring to it. The spring the WH dealer sold me (used) is extremely stiff, so it will have to be attached with the tiller fully raised, because I would never be able to stretch that spring!

From your pictures it looks like there is an idler pulley right behind the rear axle. ..... am I right or is it the front pulley that just looks like it right in front of the large tiller drive pulley? There was a Service Bulletin that addressed " belt contact with the axle, and maybe that's the "workaround" that WH came up with.

From the pics from you and Kelly, I am "good to go" - thanks guys!! :thumbs::wh:

Forest Road
Thanks for the info. Pics would be great! One from the top and another from the side are plenty. I'll be hitting a