Sign in to follow this  
IthacaJeff

Lessons learned in the mud

IthacaJeff

I had vacation time, so I took the time to prep the horses and ready the garden.

Spent a day fixin' up the tiller I picked up during the winter and hooked it up to

the 310. Took half the day, but it worked. The garden area is old farmland, not

worked in years, so I decided to hit it with the bottom plow -- my first time using

this beast. Didn't want to unhook the tiller off the 310, so I put the plow on the

416 after fashioning a lift cable. The 416 has turf tires and no chains. . . . bad

idea, but I did manage to spin the tires a lot and break the lift cable. :thumbs:

Took the tiller off the 310, put back on the sleeve hitch and bottom plow. Now it

is the next day, warm and sunny! Figured things may have dried out some, but

only managed to plow about 1/4 the garden. Too much mud in spots and just

not enough traction. The 4 link chains on the 310 just clog up too fast, but when

they did not clog it sliced through the soil like a hot knife. Way cool!

So. . . are 2 link chains going to work better, or still clog up? How much better are

v-bar chains? We are talking mud here, not snow. No asphalt. Not looking to buy

ag tires, just thinking chains.

Can cross bars be added to my 4-link chains, or is that more a hassle than it is

worth?

Practical experience comments welcome!

Jeff in Enfield NY

B-8074

Couple things first. Do you have any wheel weights on? Are the tires loaded with any weight? Do any of these tractors do mowing duty?

As for traction with chains I would say that if what you have now fill with mud, then changing them to 2 link chains will also fill with mud. You may want to look into a set of 23x10.50x12's ag tires or even an atv mud lite tire. I have ag's on mine and even though I don't have a garden I have been in alot of mud lately. The ag's have been awsome even this winter in snow and ice. Granted I have 60lbs. of washer fluid and 50lb wheel weights.

I will say that in my opion the narrow tires will work better in the garden.

dpm2000bolt

The ag's have been awsome even this winter in snow and ice. Granted I have 60lbs. of washer fluid and 50lb wheel weights.

I will say that in my opion the narrow tires will work better in the garden.

I seen it just in a thread that fillinf the tires was not recommended by Wheel Horse as it will be hard on the axles and the Keys. I have had my Ag tires loaded on my Hydro for atleast 7 years now, tire alone was like 15 Lbs. fluided added they are about 70 Lbs and i leave on the 50 lbs wheel weights with Chains and I leave the Plow on year round. just the other day I had to pull out the other tractor (diesel, turf savers) as the tires was loaded with mud and I was pulling the 500 Lb yard roller filled with sand stuck in the mud

yes i know loaded tires are not recommended but i also move a home made Yard cart 6x4x3 I fill full of fire wood as I have to move it from barn to the house during burning season. if I can't move it that means no heat in the house

so good ole faithful hydro clears the paith and moves the trailer so tires and wieghts I have about 240 lbs without tractor or me included

farmer

Jeff,

Without seeing your garden its hard to comment, but what I would say is, let it dry off. To much spinning leads to "soil smear" not good for its structure, or later for your plants. JMO

420lse

Jeff,

Without seeing your garden its hard to comment, but what I would say is, let it dry off. To much spinning leads to "soil smear" not good for its structure, or later for your plants. JMO

I'm with Farmer on this one. Also too much tilling can cause tiller pan (the ground hardens under the tiller splines after a peroid of time). Let the worms do their duty and they'll stick around and you will benefit from their toil.

can whlvr

2 link v bar are very good,as good as ags imo,im in constuction and we run chains on ags in the deep mud,but wheelhorses are relitivly light,so its best to let it dry out and then the tires u have will do the job,it would be alot of work to weld on v bars,i too have thought of it but a new set can be had for less than 110 on e bay,so u decide if u have time and patience to weld that many bars on

bitten

I have always been told not to work your garden in the mud. I have and was left with hard dirt balls that I couldn't do anything with. I know I have been wanting to get out there with these nice days we have had and play in the dirt but will wait till the time is right.

MaineDad

Too early in the Northeast to plow just yet. My guess is you give it a few weeks and you'll find it much easier.

IthacaJeff

All right guys, just like my wife, you said to wait! I will, but I had to get out when

it hit 60 deg and turn a bit of soil. Even got a bit of sunburn!

I've been reading about the no/low till methods, and how bottom plows can

leave the hardpan. From a guy who grew up in the concrete farms of Southern

California, there is a lot to learn. Hitting the soil one time with the bottom plow,

after perhaps 8-10 years of no farming on the land, I think will be okay. From

here on out I'll use the bottom plow for making trenches!

Jeff in Enfield NY