Sign in to follow this  
drjhigg

New Owner Needs Advice

drjhigg

I recently inherited the C120 in the attached jpg. It is pretty homely looking but still ran last year. It was a already used in the mid-1970's when my Grandfather retired and bought it as part of his retirement home "deal" in Arkansas. Per the engine serial number it should be about 1976 vintage. My kids both remember riding/driving it when they were small and now my grandchildren are acting like they can hardly wait. I think some minor tuning and a new battery will get it going, but is it worth trying to restore? When my father inherited it he took some cans of spray paint to it to camouflage it so the deer would not see (or hear) him driving up to his favorite deer stand. he also added a gun rack on the right side which I probably would not use for anything buy a fishing pole. Can I clean it up and get it back to the original red. How much work is involved and would it pay to do this in any way. I will probably leave this tractor to one of my kids some day too if it is still running. I have a dump wagon and a rear mount grader for it. There may still be a garden disk attachment as well. Can I fit a mower to it still?

Thanks for your opinions.

John Higgins

Attached Image

post-3-1211145109.jpg

Teddy da Bear

I just bought a C-120 automatic.

I plan on doing a near total restoration.

Yes, to me it is worth restoring. These tractors are

getting more rare, and especially in good condition.

Mine is in worse shape than yours is. I am going to

do it because I love wheel horses.

Sounds like you have a lot of memories wrapped up

in that camo-wheel horse. Only you can answer if it

is worth it.

I can help you get started by telling you that IH harvestor

red is nearly identical to wheel horse red.

Start one piece at a time. sand it lightly, prime it evenly,

sand the primer when dry and paint with a nice even

hand (even if it is from a spray can). Then a light coat

of clear over the red would help protect it. Reproduction

decals are available if they have been "cammoed" too.

Good luck!

Mike

Niles, Mi

T-Mo

John,

Mike is right. Your C-120 is very restorable. It sounds like it's mechanically sound and looks complete though minus a deck. But decks are easy to find for the most part. And with a disc and a rear blade, you are ready have a couple of useful attachments. If you scan the painting tips section here I'm sure you can get some ideas on how to get this one back to it's original shine. Good luck.

And btw, :whistle:

nylyon

Welcome to RedSquare, glad you found us. That C-120 doesn't look all that bad at all. Keep in mind that this:

h-01.JPG

Turned into this:

IM000006-2.jpg

Anything is possible!

Again :whistle:

TT

:WRS: , John!

Look under the paint for a model number tag on the left side of the hoodstand. Post the number on here and someone will tell you the exact year of your tractor. :whistle:

Mines a little newer, but it went from this:

Aug01933.jpg

To this:

101307001.jpg

If it's a Wheel Horse, it's worth saving! :D

Kelly

I kinda think the camo is cool, But yes they can all be restored, there are lots of people here to help, with ANY question you can think of, this is a great place.

kj4kicks

Hi John, and :whistle: .

The old timers here will remember when this:

P1014961.JPG

went to this:

P3075460.JPG

Yes, your's is worth saving, but how you save it is up to you. Keep it the way it is, or take it back to original, the memories will always be yours!

linen beige

:whistle:

If it's a Wheel Horse, especially one with family history, it is vey much worth restoring. I almost always think that any restoration should be done as thoroughly and completely as possible, with every effort to put the machine back into a condition as close as possible to what it was like when it left the factory.

But occasionaly a peice comes up that has older modifications and a history that adds a value in it's own right. There where thousands of 1958 Ford Thunderbirds, and Lincolns, but George Barris only turned 3 'Birds and 2 Linc.s into the original Batmobiles. The modifications are part of their history. Were I to be entrusted with the future of this machine, I would strongly consider restoring the mechanical dependability, but preserving the camo paint and other personal touches. If this were taken to a show in a perfectly restored shape it may impress some fellow collectors, but in it's camo paint would draw a crowd. I think for effect you could dub it a Deere hunter, Cub killer, Speedex slayer, etc.

Another point to consider is, If you start working on and using this you WILL end up with at least one more 'Horse. By coming to this forum shows that the bug may not have bitten yet, but it has at least been seated and placed it's order. Ask anyone else here. I swore I was just going to restore my dad's 400 suburban and really had no use for another one. So far seven more have jumped in my truck as I was driving past to look at them. Save this one's history and restore your others.

Stigian

:D John, you find the right place to ask about WH's

Your C120 looks like a fine candidate for restoration :whistle::WRS:

I kinda like the cammo paint job myself, but as you can see from all the before and after photo's the guys have posted, anything is possible :D:dunno: :D

Teddy da Bear

Actually, a wheel horse with a camo paint job and a gun rack.....

Screams for the name......"Git "R" Done"!!!! :whistle:

linen beige

Actually, a wheel horse with a camo paint job and a gun rack.....

Screams for the name......"Git "R" Done"!!!! :whistle:

Naawwww! For starts at dare ax hilly airy lite aint stuck on a chromed roll bar and the frame's too close to the ground. :WRS:

And they aren't a set a them big ol' bull b%^^s a hangin' offern the hitch.