Sign in to follow this  
can whlvr

boy do i feel stupid

can whlvr

so a few weeks ago im plowing late at night because i got my truck stuck at my scrap metal pile way out back,im using my trusty 308 with 13hp honda transplant,ya the one i brag alot about,so i get one pass and all of a sudden more smoke than a nascar engine blowing up,i cant beleive my eyes,this engine has had only one oil change since new,barley broke in,so i call up the shop where i bought it and he says its under full waranty bring it in,i been out of town for work alot and have had no time to pull it off the machine and gst it there,so today i got a few hours and took it in,after taking it off the tractor,i get out the door and one of the guys there runs after me and says come back and look at this,I HAD DOUBLE THE AMOUNT OF OIL IN IT,i guess i was thinking about my kohlers when i did the oil change and put 2 litres in not 1 like its supposed to have,so i took it home and drained the oil,gave it a new oil change,installed it and shes perfect,i guess i should pay more attension next time

Irv

We all have those "brain farts" now and then Don. A little embarrasing when someone knows besides yourself but it's good nothing was ruined. :thumbs: :thumbs:

mavfreak

Can happen to the best of us at times....NO harm done, be thankful! Its a good lesson to share!

wheelhorse656

i have done some stuff like that b4 and it makes you feel stupid but you will look back a few days from know and laf. :thumbs:

dpm2000bolt

well until Kelly told me today I never knew that the PTO hoops came in 3 sizes but would have made a difference looking in the scrap yard for parts. Well Glad you motor is still all good. :thumbs:

mowerman1193

Been there done that..Except it was just my push / trim mower.. I figured it out sort of on my own and knew what it was as soon as it started smoking..funny thing is I always check the oil after changing it..That has saved my butt before too as one time I changed the oil in my dads car and didn't put the drain plug back in, LOL That was when I was a older teenager though and I got interrupted buy a phone call from my girlfriend, LOL I came back to finish the job and thought I had finished up under the car..Anyway I poured 5 quarts of oil in and checked the oil and it was not even on the dipstick yet..Then i look under the car and the oil is running into the drain pan that was still there LOL...

Kevin

420lse

Things like this happen to me all the time. Glad it turned out ok!

Ken B

At least you didn't forget to put oil in it.

mr.pipes

About 8 years ago I had a nice 2 year old F-150 4x4 extended cab and changed the oil one afternoon. Later that night I ran outside to start it and let it warm up. Came out a few minutes later and there was a giant puddle of oil on the driveway. Shut it down and cleaned up enough so I could get under it and see what was going on. When I took the old filter off the o-ring fell off and was hanging on the nipple. I didn't notice when I put the new one on because I couldn't or didn't need to look when I did. It was tight enough to hold the oil until it was started and under pressure. So I was off to the parts store for 5 more quarts of Mobil 1 and another bag of speedy dry. :thumbs: :thumbs:

Ken B

About 8 years ago I had a nice 2 year old F-150 4x4 extended cab and changed the oil one afternoon. Later that night I ran outside to start it and let it warm up. Came out a few minutes later and there was a giant puddle of oil on the driveway. Shut it down and cleaned up enough so I could get under it and see what was going on. When I took the old filter off the o-ring fell off and was hanging on the nipple. I didn't notice when I put the new one on because I couldn't or didn't need to look when I did. It was tight enough to hold the oil until it was started and under pressure. So I was off to the parts store for 5 more quarts of Mobil 1 and another bag of speedy dry. :thumbs::thumbs:

That was a pricey ut-oh. If you have the inline straight 6 in that F-150 you may still be a quart down. :thumbs:

mavfreak

My 96 4.9L withan oil cooler hold 8qts. When I did my first oil change I kept adding it up to 6qt then called a ford garage. He laughed and said I better get some more oil.

My grandpa asked me to help him change the hydrlic fluid in his old farmall super A. I went with what he said that it held 4pts when it really holds 4qts. when I discovered that it was to hold that much he added that much more to it. what a mess.

It happens to all of us at times.

6wheeler

At least the engine didn't get hurt. We all probably have a boy am I a dumb a$$ story. Mine involves a 91 Gold Wing. I was going to change oil before parking it for the winter, Drained the oil, put on a new filter. Went to the oil shelf and found no oil. Turned out one of the kids X-friend helped himself to my expensive MC oil. So, after much kind language if you know what I mean, decided to get oil on the way home from work the next day. I ended up working late so it got put off. 3 weeks later I decided I had better put it away down in the shed. I had by that time completely forgotten about the oil. Started it up and walked away to let it warm up a bit. I hopped on and rode it to its winter spot wondering why the oil light was on, after all I had just changed oil (sort of). Walking back up to the house it dawned on me, I never got any oil :thumbs: Guess what I had to do before I could go riding in the spring? $975.00 in parts and alot more kind language was heard :thumbs::thumbs: :thumbs:

mr.pipes

Walking back up to the house it dawned on me, I never got any oil :thumbs: Guess what I had to do before I could go riding in the spring? $975.00 in parts and alot more kind language was heard :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

That's tough!! I lucked out and didn't have any damage. I don't remember how much oil I had left but the puddle was 4'x4' on flat asphalt. I put another 100K + hard miles on that 5.4L and it ran great when I got rid of it a year and a half ago. Too many things were rusting away and wearing out and didn't make sense for me to keep it.

can whlvr

well its good to know that im not the only one thats done stupid mistakes,the thing that got me was i didnt check the oil before i took it off the tractor,hauled it all the way to the shop,and then had to reinstall,its really easy to take off though,no electrical,fuel line,or throttle and choke cables as these are self contained on the honda,i could have used the time to work on my c101 that i still need one more day to finish after a total tear down,engine rebuil,paint,at least my 308 is back in service