Sign in to follow this  
B-8074

Lawn Rolling

B-8074

Is there anything I should do before I roll my lawn?

Should I aerate before I roll it?

Thanks.

GlenPettit

So much "depends": Time of year, moisture content, grass type & condition, slope, etc., but; to aerate, thatch or 'pull plugs' will allow air, fertilizer and water to sink deeper in the soil and greatly improve the grass growing.

The rolling will greatly help level the ground, level ruts, sink back small rocks & lumps, be sure to drive around in just first gear, moving slowly so the ground has a second or two to move around, if driven in a high gear, the roller has very little positive effect in leveling & soil movement, many people drive with the roller much to fast. Fertilize before rolling.

It is best to use "high floatation" tires (very wide & only 10# psi) if you can, the tractor should not really leave wheel ruts but the ground is best if reasonably moist to the point where can drive over it . Chains would be a big help, but not wheel weights. A 100# per foot width load in the roller is recommended.

Should you aerate before or after? it's a "50-50 split decision" by the experts, depending on what you want to accomplish and all the 'depends'.

You could Roll and aerate at the same time, by pulling both like I do, towing both.

You could cut and aerate at the same time (I roll once a year & aerate 3-4 times while mowing). Just before the Fall rains is a great time to aerate & open the hard ground.

Good Luck, Michigan Glen

varosd

I just plug aerated yesterday..we had all that rain, so I thought now was the time. I had sold my aerater when we moved, so I was lucky that the ACE had a plug aerator 3 bucks an hr. not bad since I only will do this once a yr. The ACE guy was amazed I completly wash it before I took it back..must be the old Army thing in me! We have a lot of clay here, so I'm NOT going to roll until I rack up the plugs and then spread some new topsoil around, then I will roll. :thumbs:

MikesRJ

I actually asked this question recently of a local Ag Extension worker who lives near me. He returned the following: The local Ag Extension recommends aeration before rolling. Rolling tends to compact the soil, aerating beforehand allows the ground room to move without significant compaction. As stated before, aeration allows deeper moisture penetration and fertilizer dispersion.

AMC RULES

All good info fellas, thanks for sharing your ideas here. :thumbs:

B-8074

Thanks everyone for all the info. Now I need to find an aerator.

varosd

My 2cents: plug aerator instead of spike aerator. a lot of rental places will have a towable spike but not a plug. I bought a plug in the past at Northern but since we moved..kinda trying to make room for another tractor (dreaming of a C-160 with hydro lift!) I have been told the spiker compresses the ground side to side. I had the one from ACE with a 4 hr min so all the neighbors chipped in and used it!

of course a power plug aerator is always for rent but kinda defeating the purpose of having a tractor and boy that thing will wear you out!! :thumbs:

theoldwizard1

In my area we have very heavy clay soil. You only have a few weeks in early spring to roll your lawn. After May 15, around here, it is already too hard to do any good.

6wheeler

I have been thinking about getting a roller. I have a real problem with moles. I don't really know how to use them. Are the steel ones better than the plastic ones? Do I have to roll in any particular direction? Can I just follow the mole tracks? Does any one have a way to get rid of the moles? On a kind of related note, The farmers around me here are rolling their fields after planting. I'd like to use one of those rollers, they are about 40 feet wide :thumbs:

SNYFIX

Don't know if they still do but at one time you could buy a roller w/spikes on it so you can areate/roll at the same time. Would play heck going across a driveway/sidewalk tho.

An old guy once told me NOT to roll because it squishes the roots of the grass but how else would you flatten out the frost heaves in the yard.

GlenPettit

Because the moles can move dirt several feet and push it up a piles, I think it best to level out those piles 'hills' with a drag, like a flat bed spring (from a small baby bed, 3x5'. After the dirt is spread out, then roll.

I like steel, but it is very noisy and rusts. Plastic looks nicer and may cost less, but a sharp object (edge of rock) may damage it easier, especially when cold.

Michigan Glen

Kelly

I've had my plastic roller for 6-7 years and love it, it sets outside with no rust, and does not dent, if it gets a hole, mine never has it is thick, I would think you can plug the hole with an epoxy of some type like JB weld, I leave mine full all summer so if I get a nice rain and feel like rolling it is ready to go, I have thought about using some antifreeze in it and never drain it.

varosd

just used the lawnsweeper to pickup all the plugs since... we have a lot of clay. it did a nice job...better than having to rake an acre!!

mavfreak

Did you find an aerator yet