Sign in to follow this  
smoreau

muffler paint

smoreau

I have seen allot of tractors on this site with very nice looking pipes on them with no rust or paint burning off. I am going to put a new stack on my 875 very soon and I was thinking what I had to do to keep it from looking rusty, So what do the rest of you use? do you blast the factory finish off the new muffler first and spray high temp paint? I could use your opinions. Thank you! :thumbs: :thumbs:

WheelHorseSteve

I have had great luck with Rustoleum's BBQ paint... Flat black. Put it on the grill and my Scag's muffler and it looks as good as the day I put it on.

mavfreak

Use a good high heat paint for headers or grills left the original paint on with good success

smoreau

I was thinking header paint but was wondering if there was any thing else you guys were using? I got my stack muffler, rain cap, and some 1" pipe with a elbow today and want to get it on soon. :thumbs::thumbs: also I scored a very nice tractor cover for $20 at TSC today on there clearance isle. was $45

mnWHfan

On mine, I used the header high-temp paint and primer that they sell at O'Reilly auto parts. I can't remember the brand off the top of my head, but it requires that you cure it either on the engine or in an oven. I just ran my motor until the temperature on the muffler reached the temperature that they suggested on the can and then shut it off and let it cool down. I was able to check the temperature with a thermocouple that I have with my multimeter. It smokes pretty good when your doing the curing, but it holds its color really well. Mine is a flat black and it looks like new even after mowing the lawn for half the year and plowing in three gardens. If I can find the name, I will add it to this post.