Sign in to follow this  
312horse

transmision oil leaks

312horse

I was wondering what is involved to stop the oil leaking from the transmissions on my 312-8 tractors i,m getting tired of gear lube on the floor .Also the parts availibilty for these 1985/86 tractors, but i.m not real sure of the culprit , i have the parts manual ,but until i clean up the area back there i,m not real sure where it,s coming from :thumbs:

64s

Its probably the axle oil seals. They are pretty easy to replace. Yours 'should' be part number 100863 and they run about $5-6 each. I just did mine about 1 1/2 years ago.

B-8074

If they are the axle seals you can replace them without having to open the case. :thumbs: But the first thing you need to do is get her all cleaned up so you can see where the leak is. I use simple green, it does a great job.

catman81056

I noticed that on my 1267 and checked the bolts holding the trany case together, they were alittle loose. Tightened them up and the leak stopped.

312horse

Thanks guys , for the quick replies , and that 100863 is the number shown in my book , i guess toro dealer would be the place to order the seals ? :thumbs:

catman81056

Leaking wheel seals are pretty visable, should be easy to see if thats where the leak is.

TT

You may also want to check for up/down play at the ends of the axles. If the axle bearings are worn/loose/shot, installing new seals will be a wasted effort.

I get my parts through Toro, but they are also available through various other sources, such as bearing stores, some auto parts retailers, etc.

Retired Wrencher

:thumbs: :thumbs::thumbs: I have a 1057 that had a little leak from the case area I put in about 25% of Lucas Oil Additive in the tyranny and no more leaks this stuff works great for small lakes. Gary B...................

JC 1965

I had a small leak in my 312-8 tranny a couple years ago, I put some At-205 Re-Seal ( got it at auto parts store ) It stopped the leak in a couple days. The way it works is it swells the seals and that stops the leak. Hope this helps. Good luck !! :thumbs:

can whlvr

if u have to do axle seals and your bearings are good i would recommend doing the input shaft and brake shaft,there not expensive and if you r doing the axles may as well do the other 2 as well