Sign in to follow this  
hemidarts

Raider 10 wont move

mavfreak

also I feel this needs to be mentioned also. Once you have the hub off pull out the set screw and take the lock nut off. Run a die on the screw and a tap the threads in the hub. The threads sometimes get messed up. Then when you put it all back together you know that the set screw will get tight on the new key way.

I have had set screws seam and feel tight but weren't until I did what I mentioned above.

stevasaurus

Hey...don't any of you guys have jobs??? :thumbs: I feel like I am in the chat room. :thumbs: I'm retired. Isn't it nice to be here helping someone on a nice afternoon? :thumbs:

mavfreak

no job at the moment steve :thumbs: :thumbs:

stevasaurus

Sorry Mate...just struck me funny. Good to have you on here though. I mailed your prize this morning. :thumbs:

pfrederi

While you have the set screw out examine the end. It should be cupped with a nice depression in the center. If it is smushed flat it will not work well. Take it to the hardware store and get a new one.

hemidarts

allright guys thanks so much!! :thumbs:

I will hopefully be tackling this project in the morning. I will report in and let you guys know how its coming. I am hoping there are no hang ups. Thanks again!

TT

And it amazes me how often TT is right.

Yeah....... me too! :thumbs:

Either way, I sure am glad that's all that was wrong. :thumbs:

hemidarts

Ok so i took the wheel off, and i got the key out. I also took the set screw out. I have pictures of both. I think i am going to try and replace both of them. What do you guys think?

IMAG0432.jpg

IMAG0431.jpg

IMAG0429.jpg

IMAG0430.jpg

IMAG0428.jpg

IMAG0427.jpg

IMAG0426.jpg

IMAG0425.jpg

stevasaurus

For sure, replace the key...the set screw looks to be OK, but if you can find one...why not.

You might try Tractor supply or Ace for the parts before I would go to Toro. I paid $2.25 for one key a couple of years ago at Toro. :thumbs:

hemidarts

I am going to try lowes and go from there. wish me luck

hemidarts

Well Lowes dont have anything, that was a complete waste of time.

my local hardware store didnt have the right size. I will get one later this weekend when i have more time. I did chase the threads on everything, so i should be good to go.

Thanks again for everyones help! :thumbs:

dgjks6

For these kind of parts - shims/bushings/keys - lowes and home depot have nothing. We have a sears hardware by us and they have the best variety and have almost everythign I need.

If not - for parts like that I go to the Toro dealer - if they don't have it they can get it in a week with no shipping.

pfrederi

Given the condition of the Key I am surprised the set screw looks so good. You would be fine reusing it.

Duff

I may have missed this in reading the posts above, but I might suggest when you go to reassemble the hub to the axle, put a thin coat of grease or Neverseize on the axle itself where the hub slides on it. This will prevent the hub from "seizing" on the axle so if you ever have to take it off again (say for replacing the axle seals somewhere down the road) it won't be such a chore getting the hub off. From what I've learned here over the past few years, the biggest PITA jobs in working on these fine tractors are 1) taking a steering wheel off the steering shaft, 2) freeing up a seized hitch pin, and 3) wrestling a hub off that's frozen (usually rusted on) to an axle without breaking the hub! :thumbs:

Duff :thumbs:

Oh, and :thumbs: !!!

sorekiwi

Make sure that you check out the slot the key sits in in the hub as well. the key can wallow out the side of the groove.

The seat for the key in the axle can wear too, your new key should be a nice fit in the groove.

hemidarts

Well i finally got a chance to put it back together.

The new key i got from Ace for $1.28 fit great.

I must have wripped a wire that goes to the ignition, because the tractor wont start.

I will fix that in the next couple of days and let everyone know how it works.

Thanks again for everyones help!! :thumbs: :thumbs:

hemidarts

I just wanted to give everyone an update.

The crank key was the problem.

After i took it all apart and cleaned it and bought new parts,

I put it back together. Its perfect now.

I ripped a wire off putting it back together, and it took me

until last week to fix it. I tore half the tractor apart trying

to fix the problem. But now the tractor is running great!

Thanks again to everyone who helped me!! :hide: :WRS:

stevasaurus

:WRS: Glad you got her fixed. They are not so bad to work on, are they??? :hide: