Sign in to follow this  
Hugh

Newbie With Tub Cart Questions

Hugh

Hi Guys,

My name is Hugh, and I just joined up in hopes of getting some my help regarding my old "tub" cart. I'm a teenage 4H'er and love working on old machines. While I dont own any Wheel Horses, I'm a Sears guy, I have pulled against them, and they are quite stout machines, very similar to Sears in fact.

Anyways, I have an old tub cart sitting in my yard. Paint is rough, the original Wheel Horse decal on the front is still visible. The dump works and there is a nickel-sized hole towards the rear. I want to paint it this spring, more to protect the metal from rust than anything else. However, I have a dilemma. Do I paint it WH red and then sell it? If I am going to keep it, I will paint it black and coat the inside of the cart with bed liner, and keep it as a worker. I don't know much about WH's in the way of value, so I am hoping that you guys can help me out in that department. I post mostly on MyTractorForum, and some on GTTalk, and so far, I have read that they go for about 50-150 near me (CT) depending on condition.

So, lets say I painted it up real nice, and put good tires on it. What is a good cart worth? I just want to know if painting it back to OEM is worth it.

Thanks,

Hugh

n1defan

:thumbs:

rmaynard

:thumbs: Glad to have you aboard.

I have seen them in fair shape go for $50.00 to $75.00. A full restoration with body work, paint, and tires will cost you a lot more than you will be able to get.

wheelhorse656

:thumbs: Glad to have you aboard.

I have seen them in fair shape go for $50.00 to $75.00. A full restoration with body work, paint, and tires will cost you a lot more than you will be able to get.

:thumbs: and agreed

squonk

I would paint it :thumbs: red anyways. You could always still use it as a worker and you never know, you might come up with a roundhood to go with it. I've got almost the same thing. An old tub cart rusty with a few holes. I'm painting it, hooking it to my 704 and going cruisin at the tractor shows picking up goodies!

mavfreak

Kelly

It's yours, paint it black, and use it, your right in the ball park on price, yours is probably around the $50-75 mark, unless you do a very nice job, on the fix up and repaint it will probably sell for $100

VinsRJ

I would think a total restore with body work, paint and new tires is not the best route to go if you are looking to sell the cart. The amount invested will not return as much or even all what you put into it. The prior stated $50-$75 (maybe $100 if the right person comes around) is reasonable and in line with the value.

Depending on what you paid for it.... I would be thinking more along the lines of cleaning it up and launching it as is or painting it black and using it.

Good luck and hope you find the right :thumbs: to pull it with :thumbs:

Hugh

Thanks for the speedy feedback guys! I think that I will keep it, and paint it black and keep on using it. It's quite the handy little wagon. As far as a WH to pull it with... I doubt thats going to happen anytime soon. I have limited space (as per the parents) and what space I do have is filled with Sears! However, I like the looks of the RJ/Suburban tractors (excuse my WH ignorance) and maybe someday I will find one and use it for parades and what not.

Fiscalyear

Hugh, :thumbs:

You have a lot of reading ahead of you and a lot of knowledgable people here to help.

Glad to have you on board.

:thumbs: Eddie

smoreau

VinsRJ

I have limited space (as per the parents).

You just tell them there are worst things you could be into............................... wait you are into Sears :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::drool::drool: :thumbs:

Shuboxlover

and maybe someday I will find one and use it for parades and what not.

Be careful....the :thumbs: seem to follow alot of people home unexpectedly.... :thumbs:

squonk

and maybe someday I will find one and use it for parades and what not.

Be careful....the :thumbs: seem to follow alot of people home unexpectedly.... :drool:

That's why I say paint it red. What's it going to hurt? :thumbs: If a :thumbs: follows you home, you'll be kicking yourself that you didn't :thumbs:

can whlvr

u could allways sell the sears and get a horse :thumbs: