Sign in to follow this  
mattd860

Kohler K-Series Engine Tin (Shrouds)

mattd860

I noticed that many of the same Kohler engines (K-series) have different tin or shrouds to direct the flow of air over the fins.

For example, my old K301 has a shroud that completely covers the block fins with a small opening around the exhaust port fins which forces all the air to exit out of that area. The head also has a flat plate forcing air over every single fin on the head.

However, the slightly newer K301's have a minimal amount of shrouds leaving most of the fins on the block and head completely exposed.

And then there are the other various combinations found on none wheel horse tractors which I don't really need to get into.

Can someone explain all this? Which tin/shroud combination works the best?

WH nut

The key to the engine tins is cooling. I have no idea why diderent ehgines have different tins. I would suspect its to act as a thermostat. You want the engine to be warm enough to perform at its best but not to warm. So I would guess, depending on application they would throw different tins on them. We all know what happens if the motor gets to warm, and we know how they run if they are cold. So that would be my guess