Sign in to follow this  
kthack657

My first haul

kthack657

Hi All,

my husband and I have been into wheelhorses for a while, but I never had one of my own per se. Well this wekend I purchased a "farm Fresh" Charger 12. it is rough and the engine was blown, with a 4 by 1 inch hole blown in the block, but it is mine and we have a replacement motor sitting in the shed

100_1763.jpg

100_1764.jpg

100_1765.jpg

Pics From picking up

Pic of the hole blown in the side of the block

100_1775.jpg

So far, we have torn down the old engine, picked up a new seat and removed the hood. I am in the process of rebuilding a 12 hp Kohler motor to replace the bad one.

100_1776.jpg

100_1773.jpg

100_1774.jpg

The picture of the cover is just a small sign of what this tractor has been through. it was caked in grease sand and mud that was so gummy tht it took a degreaser, a prybar and a water to clean it up...unfortunately, it is still not clean.

The wheels and tires were so caked in dirt and sand that upon the first look, we thought the tires were dry rotted and unsalvageable. We took "Ugly" (the tractor's temporary name) to the do it yourself car wash and used a high pressure hose to clean uo the tractor a little bit before taking him to his new home. To our surprise, not only is there only minor dry rot, the tires are all holding air even after one full day. This is definately a work in progress, and I will be calling on you for help as this is our first automatic tractor. Ill update you on as I go as I cant wait to take him on his maiden voyage!

chazm

Hello & :thumbs:

Nice starter project - :thumbs:

Good luck with her.

Chaz :thumbs:

Kelly

Glad you joined, we have lots of info, and looks like your off to a good start on fixing up your charger, looks like a nice 64 chevy there also.

Sparky

Looks like your off to a great start. Good luck with it.

Now about that snowblower, is it a Wheel Horse unit? It looks like its not but I'm not sure.

Mike.........

kthack657

thank you so much for the welcome. and Kelly good eye on the 64 Impala she is a beauty, \and My hubbies pride and joy! :thumbs:

Sparky

Opps....didnt notice you were a newbie.

:thumbs:

Mike.........

AMC RULES

Buzz

Opps....didnt notice you were a newbie.

Mike.........

She is, but he isn't....... Is she doing any of the work Jim, or is she "bossing" the job? :thumbs:

kthack657

The snow blower is a craftsman, and will be sold soon to fund the restoration... and buzz...I am doing some of the work, but wanted to document it and jim just happened to be in the pics I was taking, I want to lean, and jim is a good teacher. hope to have it driving by family farm day, hope to see you there! :thumbs:

jimt1971

Buzz,

She got her hands dirty with me.

Jim

mavfreak

:thumbs: And that looks like fun!

dgoyette

Welcome and congrats on the new horse! Getting your hands dirty is half the fun.

kthack657

Hi all,

so it has been a week since I got my Charger 12 and I am happy to say that we have made siginificant progress in getting this old horse back up and running! After a trip to tractor supply and harbor freight, I thought I had everything necessary to get him going. Jim helped me with the engine work, taking out the balance gears, and putting in the new crank piston rod and piston. I finished cleaning up the cylinder head. we then put the engine back on the chassis and that is where the fun really began...

100_1783.jpg

100_1781.jpg

We started reassembling the other motor components, but hit a few snags and I kept forgetting where certain parts went and so I had to keep bolting and unbolting parts, but I think now between Jim and me that we have it right. Next we rewired it. One of the battery cables I bought was a little long, but we were able to make it work. and I do have to say thankyou to whoever had the wiring diagram out there it was a huge help :thumbs: I hit the snag when I was putting the fuel system on...I didnt buy enough fuel line and so while I am so close, I didnt get to hear the engine start, but I did get to hear the engine turn over.

100_1786.jpg

100_1785.jpg

I will be going out tomorrow to get the last little bit of fuel line so that I can hear him start...wont get to take him on the maiden voyage tomorrow though...it is supposed to pour here tomorrow, and unfortunately I do have a girlie side :thumbs: I promise once I take him out on a run, I will definately post more pics.

Oh on another note, does anyone know about the Charger 12 braking system...I know it is an eary 68, and want to make sure that I have proper brakes before taking it out.

100_1788.jpg

WheelHorse_of_course

The Charger has no brakes but relies on the hydro transmission for braking. There is a pawl for the parking brake, but often that is worn out. Don't worry, it won't roll very far!!

Chargers are very close cousins to the C-series machines. Later C machines do have a real parking brake.

If you have found it easy to roll it around that means you tow valve is open and you will need to close it if you want to go anywhere!

If it is hard to roll around then the tow valve is in the run position and you are good.

If you need to take the drive belt guard off be sure to check the idler while you have it apart.

:thumbs: and keep up the good work! :thumbs: :thumbs:

VinsRJ

Looks like you are making great progress.... I wish I had time to focus on my RJs like you guys :thumbs:

Now thats a heck of a hole in that engine block! I've repaired a number of Clinton blocks over the years but that Kohler.......... :thumbs:

I look forward to your continued progress. :thumbs:

Retired Wrencher

:thumbs: :thumbs::thumbs: Hi K........./657 I have been there take your time check every nut and bolt and in time it will shine like the rest of these fine tractors like we have on the site. Gary B.................. Like this 1 101_0038.jpg

tuscybuck

:thumbs: Looking good :thumbs:

HorseFixer

kthack657 :thumbs::thumbs: Nothin I like to see more than a Gal at the Sand Blaster! :thumbs: Looks like its comming along nicely. :thumbs:

JC 1965

:thumbs: Hello and :thumbs: You'll like it here, nice folks and lots of Wheel Horse info. :thumbs: :thumbs: