Sign in to follow this  
tuscybuck

61 suburban resto

tuscybuck

Well the fire wall / hood mounts were all beat up and broke apart.

I'm not even sure if this is the original setup but, i re fabbed one after work today rather than try to redo the old one

Attached Image (Click thumbnail to expand)

post-3-1299293587.jpg

tuscybuck

What is your favorite color of white to use on the wheels and seat?

VinsRJ

Looks like you did a very nice job on the hood stand :thumbs:

I personally use Rustoleom "Almond", some use Sherwin Williams "Linen White". I believe the Linen White is closer to the original but, the Almond IMO is easier to touch up.

tuscybuck

:thumbs: Whoever had this in the past was not kind to it. :thumbs: I've seen some :thumbs: redone on here that started off way worse

We will take care of that though! It is just amazing that this machine is 50 yrs. old now.

Horse'n Around

That looks like a lot of fun. There is nothing like doing fun things like this with the little ones :thumbs: Keep up the awesome work, the hood stand looks great!

John

TT

the seat is not original to your tractor

Actually....... it could be.

I'm not exactly positive if :thumbs: was using up leftover inventory, or if they had a problem with the supplier, but I have seen quite a few 401's with the perforated seat.

Those seats may have also been originally installed on a few 701's, but I haven't been able to verify that - yet. I have never seen one on a 551 though. :thumbs:

formariz

I'm not exactly positive if :thumbs: was using up leftover inventory, or if they had a problem with the supplier, but I have seen quite a few 401's with the perforated seat.

Those seats may have also been originally installed on a few 701's, but I haven't been able to verify that - yet. I have never seen one on a 551 though. :thumbs:

Of course one never knows what was changed on a lot of these machines but when I got my 551 many years back it had a rather ratty seat cover on, and what was underneath was the perforated seat, and from the looks of it and everything associated with it it was in there at least for quite a few years. Since the tractor was 100% complete with all correct parts and had no rust what soever probably there is a possibility that seat came with it, since it is the first thing to rust out when left out. :thumbs:

tuscybuck

Still makin progress we will find time this weekend to post some new pictures supposed yo be 48 tomorrow so we will get some more done hopefully :thumbs:

VinsRJ

You may be right but, thats an early perforated seat without the reinforcement ribs in the middle. By mid 1958 early 1959 WH was consistently using the seats with the reinforcement ribs. The probability of that being the original is small.

That

wheelhorse656

Thas a pretty strieght tractor good luck. :thumbs:

tuscybuck

Well some progress got our first coat of primer on !! :thumbs:

Attached Image

post-3-1300151776.jpg

Kelly

Looks like progress, is your boy staying with it?

tuscybuck

Yep right there the whole time having fun