Sign in to follow this  
Gerry w

18Auto running issues

Gerry w

Hi, we had quite a snow storm last night so I started the Vermonster up and cleared it, no problem, over a ft of snow and ran like a top the whole time. So when finished I backed her in the garage and shut her down.

This am I had to clear the drive again so I went though my usual routine of heating the rig up with a space heater, etc. Got in, started it up, went to reduce choke and increase throttle and...it cuts out! Okay I think, it was cold last night, started it again, same thing.

Long story long, after heating it more, letting it sit, it now will run but only if I leave the choke at 1/2 on, if I attempt to reduce it anymore then that it will cut out!

Ideas? Suggestions?? I am at a loss on why if it was running just last night, and running good too, it would be doing this this am.

I have gas treatment in the gas, it's fresh gas, and I also use sea foam as well.

Thanks in advance! :thumbs:

Gerry

stevebo

You either have a partially clogged carb, clogged fuel filter or there is water in the gas. Either way you will have the smell of gas on your hands before you have it running good agin... :thumbs:

oldandred

trash in the carb all the stuff added to the gas want get rid of trash

Gerry w

trash in the carb all the stuff added to the gas want get rid of trash

so the what's the "easy" way, spray cleaner? The carb is a bit of a bear to remove..

Jim_M

There is no easy way. You'll have to take the carb off.

Although, I have gotten lucky a couple times and fiddled with the high and low speed screws and had the crud work it's way through.

bitten

Check the fuel filter, line and pump. If none of these a carb cleaning is in the works.

Kelly

Some times I pull the high speed screw out the top, spray it off with carb cleaner, blow out the little holes, then stick the tube on the spray can in the hole on the carb and give it a few shots, it's worked for me.

Gerry w

Thanks guys, checked the tank, nada, checked the filters, nada, checked the choke cables, it's still good. Took off the air filter and housing, all good. Gas was fresh, did have additives in it but nothing I haven't used for years to help in this cold and older tractors. So, checked the inside of the carb, blocking one of the butterfly valves was a screw from the air filter base! Whew!! Pulled it out and set it back in place with some lock set applied to all the screws there! Glad that didn't work it's way down!!

Thanks for every ones help on this! It was too cold this AM to tackle it and it had just warmed up to 20 degrees so away I went to work! With Rollermans and Wild Bills help, got it fixed!!

:thumbs::thumbs:

Gerry

dgoyette

Glad to hear you are back in action Gerry. Also happy that you got that storm cleared out before the problem developed. That was a bit of good luck on the timing.