km3h

Snow Blower Clogs Every Time

km3h

:thumbs: I have a Wheel Horse 417-A. This past summer I got a single stage snow blower for it and could not wait for the first snow. Last month we got about 6 inches of wet snow and I was able to make one swipe with it and it would clog up.

So last night we got another snow and it was not so wet. Got the old girl out and tried it again. Same thing. On pass and it was done. Clean out the chute and try again. Same thing. I turned the trunnion in and same thing.

Put it back in the shop and it works great as long as there is no snow in it. Pulled the PTO apart and there is about 1/8 inch of clutch material on the plate, so that should be enough to make it work. I have tightened the trunnion down to the point that I have to jam the leaver to make it engage. I realize this is not good, but thought I would try it. Still jammed.

I know this thing should blow snow, even when it is a little wet. I have seen the videos on utube showing guys blowing snow. I have seen them do it while moving slow and fast, so speed of forward movement does not seem to be my problem.

I am tired of watching my neighbor blow snow with a Craftsman 1000 and a single stage blower attached. Embarressing!!!!!!

Any suggestions????? :thumbs:

Jim_M

Don't run your clutch that tight, the thrust bearing won't take it.

Is the chute rusty on the inside? Do you keep the blower in a heated garage? Either one will cause it to clog. Make sure the chute is smooth and shiny on the inside. If you park in a heated garage, put it outside for an hour, to cool off, before you start blowing snow.

Shuboxlover

Make sure the inside of the chute is smooth and not rusty. Speed does make a HUGE difference, especially if the snow is wet and heavy. With a little more practice (controlling speed) it will throw that stuff just fine. Every now and again I'll clog mine up, but then I realize I was going too fast.

Good luck, and turn that trunnion back a few threads or you'll end up with more problems than a clogged blower.

:thumbs:

Dammit JIM...you beat me by 20 sec :thumbs: :thumbs:

varosd

I just got my single stage ST this past summer and it is mid 80's vintage. needs painting on the inside too (Summer project!). I waxed as much as possible and it works fine, also I agree leaving it out to "cool" down before using it helps, as a snow shovel brought outside will quickly have snow stuck to it but if you leave it then outside..no problem.

Sparky

So there you have it. Keep the chute as smooth as possible and "lubed" with a non-stick substance and make sure your tractor is running at full throttle when the blowers engaged. I run my blower belt on the inside pulley(closest to the engine) which is a bit larger and will spin the single stage blower faster.

Let us know how it works for you.

Mike...........

km3h

I did return the trunnion to it's original position. The discharge tube is clean and almost new. in fact this is the best looking used snow blower I have seen. Absolutely no rust and very clean. when I greased it, old grease came out almost immediately. So it was well cared for. I did not wax it but I will the next.

When this thing clogs up, it really gets stuck. Can't even turn the rotary tube. Have to use a pry bar to turn it. My shop is not heated unless I am out there but it probably was warmer than the outside and the snow.

How much clutch material should be on the PTO plate? I would think that 1/8 inch is enough to get the job done.

And thanks for all the replies.

Nick

Irv

Is the chute getting plugged or is the auger stopping (or both)?