Sign in to follow this  
forphase1

Need some electrical advice/help

TT

The complete path of the electricity to the solenoid "trigger" terminal flows from the battery, through the ammeter, and to the ignition switch "B" terminal.

When the key is turned to the "START" position, power flows from the ignition switch "S" terminal, through the PTO interlock switch, then through the (clutch/brake) pedal switch, and up to the small terminal on the solenoid.

My thoughts:

As previously stated, the coil within the solenoid needs "full power" to pull in and stay pulled in. If any connection or device between the battery and the solenoid is corroded or defective, the resistance will cause enough power loss at the solenoid coil that it might activate, (clicking sound) but it drops out as soon as the starter motor "robs" power from that part of the electrical system.

I would look into the interlock switches first, bypassing each one with a jumper wire (for test purposes only - one at a time) and trying to start it. If neither switch being bypassed makes a difference, check the wire itself - including all connectors, etc.

JimD

The operator presence (seat) switch works in conjunction with the PTO position switch and kills the ignition only when the PTO is engaged and the operator leaves the seat. It has absolutely nothing to do with the starter circuit.

The starter circuit safety interlock consists of the clutch (and/or neutral) switch(es) and the PTO lever position switch.

The only common connection (pun intended) between the two circuits is the use of one momentary DPST switch at the PTO lever on certain older models. Most newer tractors used two separate "piggy-backed" micro switches.

@JimD

I never really thought about the B-60, but it would be tough to have electrically-controlled safety interlock systems on a tractor that has no "conventional" electrical system. :thumbs:

Now I'll have to investigate. :thumbs:

TT, no investigation necessary. It completely slipped my mind that many years ago, after the second K161 scattered, it sat for a long time and I replaced that engine with a K181 with electric start. I've had this one since 1982 and I really am just so used to it now that I hardly think about what it used to be. Thanks for jogging my memory though, and I'll try not to make that little boo boo again in the future. :thumbs:

TT

It actually got me thinking though.........

The B-60 models could have originally had a grounding circuit set up for the operator presence interlock, but I never really paid attention. :thumbs: