Sign in to follow this  
can whlvr

finished 241 rebuild

can whlvr

so i finished the 1978 c101 10hp rebuild,i bored 20 over,new rod piston rings piston and of coarse gaskets,this was my first complete tear down and rebuild,it went ok,learned alot,next one will be easier,so i get her running and she was running rough,tuned the carb as best as i could,it still ran crappy at low speed,runs GREAT at full throttle,so i take almost every thing off the engine again to get at the valves to check the gaps,they were off so i set them and put back together,run 4 a while and notice oil leaking so i look around and i for got the gasket on the vent cap :thumbs::thumbs: ,so i fix that and then run it and i found that its the throttle shaft that makes it run crappy,it needs the bushing kit,can any one tell me does this work and can a reasonablely handy guy do it or is it better to get e new carb,seen them on ebay 4 100 dollars,i just COMPLETLY tore the entire tractor apart and stripped it and painted it,the motor is new so i wonder if it is time to get a new carb or fix the old one,some input will be appreciated very much,i priced a kit at the local kohler guy and they are 70 bucks,i see them on ebay 4 alot less

JC 1965

Go to the links section on Red square and look up Brian Millers site. He has all the info you need to rebuild your carb. He also has the throttle bushing and instructions on installing it. Good luck , Hope this helps !! :thumbs:

can whlvr

thanks for the reply,i have his web page on favorites,i was hoping someone has done it for some input

rmaynard

The throttle shaft kits work. I got mine on eBay. Since I can't post a link, search for seller "mowers4u", and look for his Kohler throttle shaft kits. They are about $5.95 US. Fairly easy to install after you get the tiny little screws out of the throttle plate. Kit comes with new screws. The screws are peened and will twist off if you are not careful. When removing the screws, turn no more than 1/4 turn, tighten slightly, then turn 1/4 turn and so on until the screw comes out. Put new screws back in with Loc-tite.

can whlvr

thanks bob i have allready had the brass screwa out,actually they came loose and where rattling in the carb, :thumbs: i havnt even drove this engine yet and i almost could have desroyed it if one of those screws got in when running,which i have been just havnt had time to put the machine all back together,im going to try the carb kit and i put locktight on the screws till then.