Sign in to follow this  
Kai Thomsen

Electric pto clutch

Kai Thomsen

Not sure where to post this question :thumbs:

My old wheel horse has an electric pto clutch that has not been working for years..

So i pulled the clutch of the crank and took it apart. Outer bearing was dead, and so was the coil inside (wire broken several places)

Bearing was no problem to fix, and i wound a new coil from copperwire, same dimensions, but with a little bit thinner copperwire instead, but no, it still wont work at 12V / 5amps

At 20V it engages with a loud BANG and locks up as it should.

Took a closer look and the gap between the pulley and the magnet is way to big :thumbs:

l l <... gap is around that much.

Is there supposed to be a friction disc/material between the pulley part and the magnet side or is it metal against metal ?

If so..i have to try and take the hole clutch apart.. not that easy i think.

BPC23

I've got 14hp Kohler and electric PTO clutch from a 1971'ish Bronco 14 and would like to learn more about the clutch itself. Mine is a sealed unit, but it sounds like yours isn't. What year/model tractor is this clutch from?

Brian

Kai Thomsen

Mine is a 1973 8HP 8Speed "noname" tractor.

1-0120

jusjeepn

The electric clutch has no friction material. I have successfully repaired the coil on a few of mine only to have the coils break loose again. I've tried several different things to try and adhere the coils back into the housing but not had much luck. I need to find a supplier for potting like is used on relays. Maybe SOI has a source for this!