Sign in to follow this  
haeffnkr

Rear Wheel Weights... how much weight is best?

haeffnkr

Hello,

Sorry if I missed it...but when I searched I could not find any kind of average/optimum weight answer but did see a lot of different weights and opinions.

I have a c160 and will be buying ags soon.

I need the weight to push snow...on concrete and get all the traction I can.

I am tired of my chains tearing up my driveway and dont want run chains any more..even though most say lawn tires and chains are the best..I know...

Back to my question -

I found guys running 100 plus a tire with extra frame weight to only 25 per side.

I guess the factory iron weights are around 50 a side?

Some guys have 90 pounds of lead per side...

I was hoping to make concrete/lead weights....

Maybe use a bucket inside the wheel type ones or maybe just line the wheels with plastic and pour it in....

I was planning to add lead shot to the concrete mortar mix.

So I could easily get about 80 pounds per side with no lead melting..etc.

So.... how much weight can I safely run on my c-160 auto?

thanks Kevin

B-8074

I have my ag's loaded with washer fluid. A little over 8lbs. per gallon and have 8 gallons per tire. That's 64lbs. plus 40lb. cast iron wheel weights. So all together I have about 105lbs. per side or 210lbs. total plus my 250lb. butt. So far I have had no problems pushing anything that has fallen.

boovuc

For pushing snow, I have 50 lb wheelhorse wheel weights on each rim and 50 lbs of weight on my hitch. No trouble pushing anything other than large wet frozen boulders. I will warn you though that pushing isn't an issue with ags. Going in reverse is an issue. There have been times I've had to get off mine to "help it" back up. :thumbs:

BooVuc

Mill Hall, PA

can whlvr

i have wheelhorse #50 on a c160 and im not light,at times i think i need more,i made concrete weights for my 414-8,they stick out but work great and are a little heavier than the iron weights,they were cheap not accounting my time(concrete) 017-4.jpg

haeffnkr

thanks for the replies.

Does it make a difference, any easier on the tractor if the weight is split up between fluid and weights?

Or is weight just weight?

Seems like the fluid on the inside of the tire would be best for physics and getting the weight where you need it?

thanks Kevin

boovuc

Hi Kevin,

Loaded tires are better than wheel weights both in getting the weight transfered to the ground better as you stated and, (IMHO), it is also easier on the tranny. Most folks here with loaded tires keep them on year round. I would have a separate set of tires for summer work and one set for winter chores. I just have the wheel weights so I continue to use them.

Hope this helps!

BooVuc

Mill Hall, PA

tmessenger

I have my ag's loaded with washer fluid. A little over 8lbs. per gallon and have 8 gallons per tire. That's 64lbs. plus 40lb. cast iron wheel weights. So all together I have about 105lbs. per side or 210lbs. total plus my 250lb. butt. So far I have had no problems pushing anything that has fallen.

What size are your tires I'm wondering how much fluid I can get in mine. I currently have 4 lead weights 2 @ 75 pounds and 2 at 40 pounds + chains. But I have two sets of tires / wheels so was thinking to fill one set of tires the ones with the chains on them and then just change them out in the spring and sell the lead weights.

Tim

mr.pipes

What size are your tires I'm wondering how much fluid I can get in mine. I currently have 4 lead weights 2 @ 75 pounds and 2 at 40 pounds + chains. But I have two sets of tires / wheels so was thinking to fill one set of tires the ones with the chains on them and then just change them out in the spring and sell the lead weights.

Tim

8.50 tires will hold around 5-6 gallons, 10.50s should hold around 7-8 gallons. Water weighs 8.33 lbs. per gallon. Washer fluid will be lighter because it will contain a percentage of methanol and should weigh about 7.6 lbs per gallon. Rimguard weighs in at 11 lbs. per gallon and is non-toxic, non-corrosive, and biodegradable. Rimguard cost about $.28lb. according to their web site. Washer fluid will cost you about $.20lb. Rimguard is slightly more expensive but you will be able to hold more weight in each tire. You can email or call them to find a local dealer.

Rough estimates for a 10.5" tire

Washer fluid $25 for 120lbs.

Rimguard $50 for 150lbs.

If you decide to get rid of those lead weights I may be interested.

tmessenger
I have my ag's loaded with washer fluid. A little over 8lbs. per gallon and have 8 gallons per tire. That's 64lbs. plus 40lb. cast iron wheel weights. So all

GT14

Here is a little something I made with free weights. Installed a class 3 hitch receiver to mount it. Total weight around 200#

photo.jpg